Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So many for sale

fyrfly

Corvette
2003 z06
My wife and I are lookking at buying a Z06 and I noticed that there are quite a few for sale at a decent price. Since we haven't driven one yet I am curious. Are they too much of a road feeling car or?

My wife and I are lookking at buying a Z06 and I noticed that there are quite a few for sale at a decent price. Since we haven't driven one yet I am curious. Are they too much of a road feeling car or?

First, welcome to the CAC! :CAC

I own a 2002 Z06 and use it as my daily driver. The ride is really not harsh. The car is low, so it is easy to scrape the airdam. You learn how to drive to avoid contact with obstacles. Curbs, gutters, parking barriers, etc can all be hazardous to the car's nose.

I would think that the most distracting part of owning a Z06 is the road noise. I put in a trunk partition and some soundproofing to help deal with it. Remember, the Z06 is louder, rougher, and faster than the coupe. Be sure that is what you want and that you can live with it. The coupe is plenty fast and easier to live with on a day to day basis. The Z06 also does not have a removable roof panel. It is performance oriented, and some trade-offs have to be made.

I went from a 2000 coupe to a 2003 Z06, the biggest adjustment was the new found power! I can't say that the ride and noise really seemed a lot different from my coupe or maybe it just didn't bother me. The Z06 represents what a vette should be in my humble opinion. Good luck in your search!

Thanks I am sure the noise will be easy to deal with. I just sold my 87 Coupe with greenwood and it was lowered also. The exhaust was loud and I rarely removed the roof panel. Looking forward to the horsepower and suspension with a Z06.

rusty,
I'll second the welcome. And I'll second the opinion that the C5 Z06 is a very driveable car on a daily basis- with the possible exception of daily stop and go rush hour traffic (the clutch is not exactly light).

GET ONE! :)

Tammy

Good luck and a great decision.

I dig my Z06 and I use it as often as I can. (as long as I'm not driving into manhattan as parkings such a pain) but other than that...

I have a smile every time I turn that key.

I put on about 10 k miles per year.

Great car!

Good luck

Low mileage 02 would be my suggestion as they have the upgraded cam, exhaust manifolds, HUD and are priced amazingly well.

29 grand!

JB

Hey Rusty,
Welcome, I didn't get to drive my 03 Z06 too much. I bought it while home on my mid tour leave from over here in the big sand box(Iraq) and it will be my daily driver when I return. But I didn't really notice very much road noise. I know it was worlds ahead of the 67 Big Block coupe I sold to get it. The 67 had side pipes, no carpet insulation, no A/C, terrible traction and 8 MPG. But those lines man it was beautiful and fun to drive. But now my wife avg's about 18 to the gal, in the city. I love the car much more usable. Now if I could just get it to look like the 67???????????
Take care and God Bless
Steve

Welcome! :CAC

I will second this,

JBsC5 said:
I have a smile every time I turn that key.

and to this,

DRTH VTR said:
I would think that the most distracting part of owning a Z06 is the road noise.

I myself seldom ever notice it, but I also like to hear the exhaust, which to me, unless I step one it is not that noticeable.

Back in the first party of June, I drove mine non-stop from Bowling Green, Kentucky to Jacksonville, Florida and never noticed the road noise. Now having said that, I will also state there is about a three mile long concrete bridge here in Jacksonville on Interstate 295, (Buckman) which when I do have to cross it my tires sing like crazy, so far this is the only place I have really noticed any road noise. I have the stock Goodyear tires.

So from what you have said about your 67, I would guess you will enjoy the Z.

:upthumbs

rusty,

The Z06 is the way to go. Fast car with very good driving manners,both in town and on the open road. Well worth the additional money.

Remo:cool

rusty,

The Z06 is the way to go. Fast car with very good driving manners,both in town and on the open road. Well worth the additional money.

Hey Remo!!!!

What kind of tires should the Z06 have?

:w

Hey Remo!!!!

What kind of tires should the Z06 have?

:w

Well there's so many to pick from. There's the not so well known Falkens? Then there's those OEM Goodyear Super Cars. And now Kumho is trying to make a name for themselves. What's your choice?

Love my 03 Z06. I think the only thing that will make it driveable on long trips are the mufflers that you put on it. I put the Magnaflow X-Pipe w/resonators and open pipes on the car and had to take the straight pipes off and put the stock mufflers back on. Way too loud. IT sounded great but... 2000 rpm sound was too much to take even with a partition.

As for gas milage. 27mpg @ 70mph and about 25mpg @ 85mph. I just made a trip from Sacramento to Colorado Springs I averaged 24.6mpg. That number includes some around town driving too. On average I get around 21ish.

As for the Tires... I like the Pilots that are on the car. Great traction, no road noise. Spend the $money$ they are what keep the car on the road.

Have fun!

Thanks to all that replied. We are on the hunt. We were at the Whistler Event that the British Columbia Corvette Club hosted and since we sold the 87 two days previous we were the only ones to have a bmw there. We had a great time and saw a lot of great cars and great people. This event is recommened by us and we will be there next year with a Z06.

Hi everyone, We just traded our 1990 vette in on a 2003 Z06. Power difference is incredible and the ride is so smooth compared to my 90. I would reccomend the Z06 to everybody. Exhaust note is great. I just need to change my screen name to C5marty.

You will love it, get one, a buyers market right now. Many low mile Z's to be had at give away prices.

Jack

It's a lot of fun to drive, but I would not make it my daily driver. The car is too expensive to drive everyday. You'll be looking at $2500.00 a year in tires alone. Also, there is the $100 oil changes (unless you do it yourself), the $250.00 an axle brake linings, and the endless hand washing since the tires are too wide to fit in an automatic carwash (why you would want a machine to clean your Vette is beyond me but people do it ... that the fast way to ruin the finish).

If you are like me I believe in STOCK Corvettes, I replace everything with Delco parts and save all the originals. I even saved the original oil filter !!

Driving thr car everyday will tear it up ... but if you want a driver instead of a toy, be prepared to get into your wallet.

Pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom