Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help.. Wanna go to Carlisle.. Code 42

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Crud, drove the car today and got a Code this morning, when i got to work i shut it off, back on, nothing. Ok, fine.

Back home tonight, again getting a code. I dumped the code and it's a code 42. The shop manual talks about the HEI Distributor, but looking around here, you guys reference "Electronic spark timing bypass grounded".. Ah, i'm lost.. Can i drive the car to Carlisle >? 2 hours? :cry I wanna go..

I checked the Dist connection and everything loks ok in the mess down there, but i havent dug into it further. I just dont want to drive it 2 hours away and have to call the flatbed in the middle..

Pls help :help

:w
-Stefan

You can always take the other car, 82. Where in PA are you, I'm 2 hours away too - and taking the Mrs. wagon, just in case. . . I find something too big or dirty to fit in the Vette. Hope to see you there!

Craig

You can always take the other car, 82. Where in PA are you, I'm 2 hours away too - and taking the Mrs. wagon, just in case. . . I find something too big or dirty to fit in the Vette. Hope to see you there!

Craig
Craig,
i'm a little below the Easton area. I would take another car, but this is one of those weeks: The DD is down, left front pad ate into the rotor, so it's at the shop and the Mrs. is taking the wagon to visit a friend with the little one. We've decided to split up this year, as last year, i had no chance to hang at all.
I'll be making up my mind tomorrow morning. And the more i read about EST, ESC HEI et all, it'll just suck at the pump, mileage wise, but other then that the car has been running, crappy but i think i can make it. We'll see..

I'll be at the Remo/Guy tent if i dont have to call AAA.. Hopefully, we'll meet..

I'll be at the Remo/Guy tent if i dont have to call AAA.. Hopefully, we'll meet..

That's where I know to go, met Bill and Gail, and Janine, and saw 67's car cover. . . I'll be leavin the 'home of Little League Baseball' so I guess you're not on our way or we'd pick you up. See you soon!

Craig

don't know if this is a help but the EST bypass is a small gage brown wire that will be connected to the lower part of the HEI it has a connector that can be pulled apart to set the timing, when disconnected you set the initial timing, then you plug it in to allow the computer to control the spark, if this wire has somehow been disconnected it may "ground out"; your timing will not advance properly and your performance will suffer. Look for a black plug that has become unplugged.
Craig sr

Ok, found it: And oh so simple: The Distributor cable to the spark plug come off half way on the 2nd plug on the pass side (Cyl # ?).. :duh

Pushed it back in and voila: No codes anymore and she runs smooth again.. How did that come off ? NO clue, i didnt go offroading thats fer sher...

But alas, we're good to go to Carlisle... :)

It helps to have light when you're looking around the engine.. :eyerole

See you guys in a few hours..

-Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom