Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where does this wire go?

warp8

I pulled the engine from my 86 about two years ago to rebuild it. One thing led to another and here I am two years later reinstallig it. I took lots of photos but not of this wire. It has a black device in it that looks like a filter or capacitor. It comes out of the rear harness near the oil press sender.

View attachment 11008

About where is the wires location? what location does it come out of the wiring harness?

That is the tach filter. One end plugs into the distributor and the other end goes to ground. It is located on top of the intake manifold on the drivers side. At least that is where it is on my 84. There should be a stud sticking straight up which is where it goes. It is a capacitor/resistor combo inside the little tube that shunts voltage spikes and noise to ground to keep from damaging your digital dash.

Sorry, one end goes to the distributer and the other plugs into the harness that goes through the firewall to the dash cluster. It is grounded through the metal mount on the tube which bolts to the stud I mentioned. I just had to replace mine with an aftermarket version that had a ground wire instead of the metal mount.

Sorry, one end goes to the distributer and the other plugs into the harness that goes through the firewall to the dash cluster. It is grounded through the metal mount on the tube which bolts to the stud I mentioned. I just had to replace mine with an aftermarket version that had a ground wire instead of the metal mount.

Thanks for the reply but there is no place to plug it into the distributor.

If I remember correct it does go to the Dist. You should have a multi-plug and a single that plug into it…I also seem to remember an extra test wire, been awhile since I worked on a TPI setup. If know one else posts for sure I’ll look it up when I get in tonight.

If I remember correct it does go to the Dist. You should have a multi-plug and a single that plug into it…I also seem to remember an extra test wire, been awhile since I worked on a TPI setup. If know one else posts for sure I’ll look it up when I get in tonight.

Doesn't seem to be a place on the distributor for it.

Lets see if this works..here is how the Service Manual has it A-B-C-D are the plug on the base of the Dist.

Have you put the dist. cap on yet? The tach filter plugs into the left side of the Dist cap just under the coil along with a red wire and black wire.

A-ck423-white

B-ck430-PPL/WHT

C---<conector for setting timing<--ck424-TAN/BLK

D-ck453-BLK/RED

--CK121-WHT---TACH FILTER--->to TACH
_-_
_
Ground ring on filter

Many people bypass the tach filter when it fails because it can cause erratic or no information to the tach when it goes bad. (I don't recommend this). Maybe someone has bypassed it and plugged the tach wire directly into the distributor which is why you are not seeing an extra socket. There are 2 side by side sockets on the left hand side bottom of distributor. If there are 2 plugs in it already then maybe someone bypassed the tach filter or there is something improper plugged in there. Again I am referencing this to my 84 however the digital tach signal is picked off of the distributor on an 86 also.

Where did you find this. I have searched my service manual high and low and can't see that circuit.

Hallelujah I found it. It does go to the Dist cap in the position marked Tach. What threw me is that it is about a foot longer than it needs to be and you can't really tell what color it originally was. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom