Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Y-50 Guide Side View Mirror

56 Vette

Corvette
1956 Venetian Red
I have a Y-50 side view mirror with the original dark glass that is in good condition. The rest of the mirror is badly pitted and rusted. I also have an original Y-50 that has been re-chromed. I would like to have the dark glass placed in the re-chromed Y-50 frame. I don't care what happens to the pitted Y-50 frame. I will sacrifice it to get the glass for the re-chromed Y-50. Does anyone know who can do this type of work? Thanks, -Keith

56, The Guide Y 50 mirror glass was held in place with black glue. Soaking the mirror head in some reducer will loosen the glue so that you can remove it from the head with ease. Be careful though, it can also pull the finish off the mirror.

I applaud anyone that will attemp to save an original part instead of buying a repro. I hope this works out. I believe the tint is in the glass so if you would damage the silvering you can take it to a mirror shop and get it resilvered. I have had large mirrors resilvered before (antique furniter) and they look fantastic.

I have a Y-50 with a near perfect head and glass but a lightly pitted base. I also have another with a near perfect base but the head is dented. Is there a way to remove the head and replace it with the good one?

Tom

My 62 has the GM replacement mirror on it from the 70's and early 80's 3840784. I don't have an original Guide Y-50 to look at here at home, but if memory serves me they were pretty close except for the head. I think you can press the head shaft out of the cast support to remove it. But when you re-install it you will need to use an epoxy inside the support around the serrated edge's to assure that it will not come out after installed. I'm not positive about this and I can check on Monday. But a quick look at your old mirror should answer this question for you. The trick is to press them apart without tearing either one of them up.
Willcox Inc

I also applaud anyone who tries to salvage original pieces. Even if it's not practical. I've done that myself more than once.

But you should realize that Paragon sells these mirrors for around $75. Perfect reproduction. Every Christmas Paragon puts some of their chrome pieces on sale. This mirror is usually one of them. Every Christmas I buy the car something pretty it doesn't need.

I also applaud anyone who tries to salvage original pieces. Even if it's not practical. I've done that myself more than once.

But you should realize that Paragon sells these mirrors for around $75. Perfect reproduction. Every Christmas Paragon puts some of their chrome pieces on sale. This mirror is usually one of them. Every Christmas I buy the car something pretty it doesn't need.

Yeah, and don't forget to do that for your wife too, guys...:rotfl

I don’t think the Paragon mirror has the black tinted glass in it like the original mirror had. The only person I know that had this was Ed Fish. Ed stopped doing the mirrors a few years ago and passed away just last month. (Fine person we will all miss)

I’m not sure anyone has the glass with the correct tint. This is why it’s important not to pull off the mirror coat when you pull the mirror glass out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom