Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door Opening

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
The passenger side door on my '81 will not open from the outside...the latch handle just goes down and does not seem to engage anything. The door opens fine from the inside.

I can't seem to find out why...anybody know? :confused

Either the handle is broken (most likely) or the rod came off the handle. You'll have to take the inner door panel off and have a look. In either case I hope you have small hands and patience.

I had a problem with my outside handle not working after i had locked my keys inside and had a locksmith try to open it up. I had to replace the whole mechanizum after he got done. Found a used one for it, no problem. Yours sounds like a clip has come off one of the rod ends. If you do some work on the insides of doors it becomes easier to understand how to disassemble and put back together. Most hope they don't have to get in there that much!

Either the handle is broken (most likely) or the rod came off the handle. You'll have to take the inner door panel off and have a look. In either case I hope you have small hands and patience.
Not sure the handle is broken. It stays in the position it's supposed to be in...just doesn't engage anything when depressed. Sounds like it could be that rod/handle thing. I'll have to get the panel off again and take a look...just not sure what I'm supposed to see, is all! :upthumbs

Lots of patience...but I'm 6'1" 255...with paws to match! Could be interesting :L

There's an adjustment screw located on the rod attached to the outside door handle, make sure this is adjusted properly and that it engages the mechanisam but also that it doesn't leave presure on the mechanisam when not in use or the door won't open after it's locked.

The passenger side door on my '81 will not open from the outside...the latch handle just goes down and does not seem to engage anything. The door opens fine from the inside.

I can't seem to find out why...anybody know? :confused

Bring it back to the dealer and complain that after you spent your hard earned money on the Corvette you bought from them they should repair it!!

Bring it back to the dealer and complain that after you spent your hard earned money on the Corvette you bought from them they should repair it!!
Bought it from a lady who was kind enough to come down about $3,000 in her asking price...kinda hard to go back to her with something like this...particularly when I agreed the purchase was "as is." ;)

There's an adjustment screw located on the rod attached to the outside door handle, make sure this is adjusted properly and that it engages the mechanisam but also that it doesn't leave presure on the mechanisam when not in use or the door won't open after it's locked.
Thanks. It's on my list of winter (can't-drive-it-now-it's-too-cold-and-nasty-outside) projects. ;)

I had the opposite problem...outside worked, inside did not. Turns out when I removed the door panel, I found a lack of grease in the insides of the mechanism, some gizmo did not move freely..... Has worked fine for over 12+ years now
JU

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom