Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Rocker Channels on 64 coupe

mackvette

Corvette
1964 coupe,1965 roadster
Anyone had any experience with this task? I know it is one heck of a job but have already started the very slow and tedious procedure,anyone got any helpful tips?

When I considered this on my '66 I noticed one of the vendors sell a replacement channel. I think you can just insert it under your existing channel and weld/rivet it to the old one. Since the old one is welded at both ends, removal and replacement is quite a job.

Ralph

Mackvette,

Do you need to replace, or reinforce the present channel ? Both jobs are very different, and must be addressed in a different way.

Let me know, and I will try and give you a few suggestions on how to go about it.

Stepinwolf

Rocker channels

This little car had a problem with water collecting at the bottom of the hing pillers on both sides,the hing pillers rusted out where they are welded to the rocker channel,the only thing to do is replace ,thanks for any advise.
Mackvette,

Do you need to replace, or reinforce the present channel ? Both jobs are very different, and must be addressed in a different way.

Let me know, and I will try and give you a few suggestions on how to go about it.

Stepinwolf

This is the easy way

MacKVette, here are the short, but concise operations necessary to repair the metal rocker channels on mid-year Corvettes.

Step 1, The doors. They must be removed, but before doing so you must first check the alignment, and gaps for correctness. If they are acceptable, then remove the inner panels, and drill no less then four holes ( two per hinge ) that will be used for guide pins through the top and bottom hinges. These holes will be invaluable when the time comes to re-install the doors in their exact location.

Step 2, Fiberglass removal. In the past, it was common practice to remove each of the panels that cover the rocker channel you are trying to repair. However this process turned out to be very labor intensive. Follow along to see why.

Fiberglass lower channel. In order to remove the lower section, the hinge and latch panels needed to be removed. However to remove the hinge/latch panel, the fenders had to be removed, I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Today, a proper repair can be made in less then a tenth of the time it used to take by simply cutting out the fiberglass that surrounds the area you need to repair, and then just bond it back into place , once the repairs have been made. As an example, here is where the rear section cut is to be made.

As seen from the side, using a saws-all, or cutting wheel, :bang cut vertically through, and across the fiberglass rocker channel, until you reach the lower inner floor section. Then make a horizontal cut through the latch panel about 12" up from the sill plate area. Now all that is left to do is make two last cuts, vertically, and horizontally in an "L " shape on the lower , side fender area to remove the complete section in one piece.

If done as per these instructions, once the piece has been removed you should have access to the area that joins the lower metal channel, to the vertical latch metal support panel. Then you may, grind, repair, replace, any part that has been affected by the rust-out, with out any damage to the fiberglass.

Step 3 After all the metal repairs, or replacements have been made, all that is left to do is replace the cut out section, using the known fiberglass repair methods normally used.

I realize the above instructions might sound a bit drastic ( ugh, cutting through the fiberglass side fender ) but believe me it's much less invasive, then removing almost all the fiberglass that covers your Corvette to get at the affected areas.

Hope this helps, good luck with your repairs.

Stepinwolf

replacing ROCKER CHANNELS

Thanks stepinwolf for the very detail repair procedure will use part of it,I have already removed the front end and the doors.To keep every thing in line on the doors I am making reinforcement bar to go from the hinge pillar to the lock pillar using the hinge and the lock bolts to securer reinforcement hopefully keeping door opening at same dimensions as before work was started.( I am sweating this one) I was planning that for the rear I could remove the lock pillar panel (on inside the rear wheel opening contains access cover for body mount) to get to lock pillar to channel at rear,the front end being already removed I think that I can get to the hinge pillar at front,Please give me your thoughts should have explained on my first post the point that i was starting from.

Thanks stepinwolf for the very detail repair procedure will use part of it,I have already removed the front end and the doors.To keep every thing in line on the doors I am making reinforcement bar to go from the hinge pillar to the lock pillar using the hinge and the lock bolts to securer reinforcement hopefully keeping door opening at same dimensions as before work was started.( I am sweating this one) I was planning that for the rear I could remove the lock pillar panel (on inside the rear wheel opening contains access cover for body mount) to get to lock pillar to channel at rear,the front end being already removed I think that I can get to the hinge pillar at front,Please give me your thoughts should have explained on my first post the point that i was starting from.

The idea of the bar is to be commended, however after having installed it, it will have to be removed in order to get the fiberglass latch pillar section out of the way defeating it's purpose.

You might get this piece removed ( fiberglass latch pillar section ) without removing the rear fender, but my guess is that you will need to butcher the part in order to squeeze it out of it's place.

Good luck

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom