Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Vette, Nice Mileage!!

J

jiangtao

I have seen previous threads about fuel mileage reported from the dash and I have at best got about 27 MPG on my previous '86, but in a 100 mile trip in my '90 I averaged 31.1 MPG. On another note, I recently drove about 600 miles to my new home in Texas and averaged 30.1 [AC on a few times] Has anyone else been this lucky these days?????

I think I get around 27, maybe a tad more if I have the top up on the road with my 87. I don't think I have seen it hit 30+ though.

If it hasn't been done in a while, do everything. Plugs, Wires, Cap, rotor, coil. You could also change the fuel filter and clean out the butterflies on the TB if they are dirty. Change the air filter frequently if you have a paper one.

If it hasn't been done in a while, do everything. Plugs, Wires, Cap, rotor, coil. You could also change the fuel filter and clean out the butterflies on the TB if they are dirty. Change the air filter frequently if you have a paper one.

Thanks - will be doing plugs/wires/cap/rotor before the trip, and the rest I've done recently! Look forward to seeing what kind of mileage I get...

While I've got you here, what octane level do you run in your 87?

cheers

While I've got you here, what octane level do you run in your 87?

Nothing but premium, since the day I purchased it about three years ago. I have every once in a while mixed a gallon or two of 110 in with a full tank of premium.

Nothing but premium, since the day I purchased it about three years ago. I have every once in a while mixed a gallon or two of 110 in with a full tank of premium.

Me too, but there's premium 92 and premium 94 up here so I go back and forth depending on how brutal gas prices are...

Yeah I have the same thing here, there are stations that offer 93 at BP, there is a Citgo that has 95, and 100 all unleaded too. I usually just fill up at the BP its about three minutes from my house. I filled up tonight with a half tank for 2.65 a gallon, cost me 24 bucks.

Yeah I have the same thing here, there are stations that offer 93 at BP, there is a Citgo that has 95, and 100 all unleaded too. I usually just fill up at the BP its about three minutes from my house. I filled up tonight with a half tank for 2.65 a gallon, cost me 24 bucks.

You're killing me! So jealous...
I paid the equivalent of 3.43 US / gallon for 94 today...

You're killing me! So jealous...
I paid the equivalent of 3.43 US / gallon for 94 today...

Wow that sucks. When it got over 3 bucks here I pretty much parked the vette unless I took it on highway trips to conserve the gas mileage for the driving time I would get. With the intown mileage it gets, I was getting killed at the pump...

Wow that sucks. When it got over 3 bucks here I pretty much parked the vette unless I took it on highway trips to conserve the gas mileage for the driving time I would get. With the intown mileage it gets, I was getting killed at the pump...

Definitely - mine isn't my daily driver so at least I can pick and choose when to blast through the gas!

My reads like 7.1 on the average gas mileage. There must be something wrong!

A reset would be very good if you have never done this!! Although, at worst you could have issues with your dash! I drove an '85 with only 3k original miles and the tach would read anywhere from 5900 to 8900 RPMs, but when you hit the throttle it would read normal/accurate. 7 miles to the gallon??? Are you sure you are not driving a Lamborghini Countach in city traffic? lol

Right now is says 9.2. What do you mean by resetting it, and no I do not stomp is from light to light. It feels like it gets that gas mileage. I have to put in 20 buck about every 4 days going to school and back, but it seems sluggish and may be using more fuel, I do not know.

Right now is says 9.2. What do you mean by resetting it, and no I do not stomp is from light to light. It feels like it gets that gas mileage. I have to put in 20 buck about every 4 days going to school and back, but it seems sluggish and may be using more fuel, I do not know.

On your digital dash you should see reset buttons by the selections you can make. Just like you reset your trip, do that with the average up and push and hold in the reset button. If you don't do this everytime you fill up the gauge will start to become inaccurate. I used to cross check it with the actual calculation for each fill up, and it comes pretty close.

forget that, my bad. reset this morning and it started at 31, jumped around, up to 41, now reads about 14.

My 86 is all over the place with the gas mileage on the dash, I figure Im about 24 mpg, but unlike you guys my car runs just fine on plus! every 4 tanks or more I giver her a treat with a fill up of premium.
Tom-

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom