Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dash

P

Powdercoater

Just wonderin after a few beers...if the lcd needs back lighting....is there an alternitve to the installed system that seems to suck very much because of the gawed aweful grounding system chev uses? you know...something short of tapeing a flash lite between the dash board..

Just wonderin after a few beers...if the lcd needs back lighting....is there an alternitve to the installed system that seems to suck very much because of the gawed aweful grounding system chev uses? you know...something short of tapeing a flash lite between the dash board..

If an 84 is like an 87, yes it does but the grounding system isn't usually the problem, burnt out bulbs are.

Changing the bulbs is no big deal. Just remove the bezel from the dash, remove the heat sinks, and the bulbs can be easily removed and replaced. Be careful not to touch the new bulbs with your bare fingers because you'll leave body oil on them which will shorten their life considerably.

Your shop manual should have the procedure and if you don't have a manual, someone here will probably link you to an article which spells out how to do it. I don't have such an article handy or I would.

If an 84 is like an 87, yes it does but the grounding system isn't usually the problem, burnt out bulbs are.

Changing the bulbs is no big deal. Just remove the bezel from the dash, remove the heat sinks, and the bulbs can be easily removed and replaced. Be careful not to touch the new bulbs with your bare fingers because you'll leave body oil on them which will shorten their life considerably.

Your shop manual should have the procedure and if you don't have a manual, someone here will probably link you to an article which spells out how to do it. I don't have such an article handy or I would.
Powdercoat, pull up a cold 6 pak and pull you dash out, (if it is doing the on off thing) if it is dark all the time could be all the bulbs are bad. I just fixed my display after dealing with it working then going out, you know.
check this link out http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87838

there is about everything you want to know, including the replacement bulbs
If you can solder (God knows with these cars how can you own one and not be able to solder!) you can fix the dash, and have backlights!
Tom

Changed out those spendy bulbs awhile back...worked for a few miles,,I can see the dash but not very well..I guess I will have to pulll the damn thing and see if I can fix it...I figuard if I had to pull it why not put some kind of reliable lighting in..instead...last time I had the dash out I couldnt get the parts to sperate at the connector so I gave up befor I broke the damn thing...thanks guys...

Changed out those spendy bulbs awhile back...worked for a few miles,,I can see the dash but not very well..I guess I will have to pulll the damn thing and see if I can fix it...I figuard if I had to pull it why not put some kind of reliable lighting in..instead...last time I had the dash out I couldnt get the parts to sperate at the connector so I gave up befor I broke the damn thing...thanks guys...
Just lift the metal tab up and slide out the connector.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom