Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Driving Lights

J

jay daley

My '99 C5's driving lights (the ones activated by the switch over the hatch release) are useless. Is there any way to brighten them up about 1,000,000 candlepower without causing a heat problem?

Yep - The fog-lights can be replaced...

PIAA 1100X Platinum Fog Lamps

Hope this helps! :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter​

Yup they are the best, but I have not been happy with the bulb life; It could be the miles I put on and I was running with them on all the time.
BTW they only work on low beam so they are more for fog. While you are at it replace the headlights with PIAA's it will suprize you.

You guys are really helpful. However, it really annoys me that GM used OEM stuff so ineffective that I am given the opportunity to spend upwards of $180 to correct the problem (thereby subsidizing the world's largest auto maker). No wonder they're having difficulty.

I think you are missunderstanding the use of these lights, they are "Fog" lights not "Driving" lights. The PIAAs (fog) on low beam will brighten up a much larger area then stock, but if you really want high beam driving lights just change out the headlamp bulbs with the PIAA bulbs; on my 97 the "fogs" do not come on with the high beams only the low beams.
So if what you want is brighter driving lights just change the headlamp bulbs to the PIAA's

The stock fog bulb is too weak.

Therefore I re-aimed mine and upgraded to a 50 watt bulb. Much better at least for me!

Thanks for your response. What I want is what I had on my Carerra: a low, flat white beam which really reaches out AND illuminates the sides of the road and the road ahead. A good fog light illuminates UNDER the fog bank. They light up the road not the fog.

the PIAA's do just that, but change them all to PIAAs and you should be happy.

a low, flat white beam which really reaches out AND illuminates the sides of the road and the road ahead. A good fog light illuminates UNDER the fog bank. They light up the road not the fog.
C6 fog-lights work great! :upthumbs

Later - D​

I did this also.......nice improvement, very little dollars.
How do ya upgrade to 50w bulbs? Does it require new wires or just bulbs? Which bulbs did you use? or is it all new fixtures?
STW, Doc

Can someone give me and Doc a part # and Manufacturer of these 50w bulbs? Tkx. JD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom