Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

mid-year project progress

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
The weather finally broke and we are getting some nice, cool temps.
Tonight, it was a cool 75 degrees and I got some paint shot on the underbody and in the engine compartment. The floor pans are coated on both sides with Lizzard Skin insulation and then painted with single stage urethane to protect it. The wheelwells will be shot with black bed liner to quiet the road noise and to avoid rock "stars" in the fenders. I fought with myself whether to paint the underhood with body color or whether to black it out, but after having the body back on the frame this last weekend, it was clear that the engine would stand out much better with the red underhood.

With luck, I should be able to get the color on the rest of the body this weekend, and should be able to get it color-sanded and buffed in the next week or two. All the removable panels are already done and ready to bolt back on. I should have the body on the chassis for the last time before Thanksgiving, unless I get real jammed at work.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1764736

Regards, John McGraw

Boy OH Boy that brings back memories.

I love the way an engine bay looks in body color. But I do remember how much time I spent questions which way to go.

Lizard skin? Henny was explaining to me about it,I wish I knew about it prior to putting the inside of my car back together

Live and learn Next one I will use lizard skin

Looks really goood John...I was wondering how that was comming. Looks like it's going to be just as nice as the 59.

By the way...I don't suppose you will selling the "59 when this one is done ..will you? I know the building of the projects is where the therapy is for you. Understandable since you you are such an accompolished corvette connoisseur and builder.

We did make the trip to Austin for the new grandbaby arrival....but the day I planned to set a side for visiting you and Billy Dawson was cut short. My wife was having severe stomach pains...recurring ulser problem. So she really needed to get home...her diet while out of town was helter skelter and caught up with her I guess. Anyway I really was dissappointed that I didn't get do some of the corvette stuff...just wasn't possible this trip. Hopefully I can before long...fall weather sure inspires me to get things done too.

...anyway congrats on the progress good to see that someone is making some headway...kinda lights a fire under us slowpokes. You are using an Ls2 for this one correct and what is Lizard skin? After you undercoat the fender wells will they be painted...or left alone, since the frame is black (if I recall correctly)?

Best regards..Stan

John, I was looking at your photos.....how did you get the bottom of the car painted red and not get any color on the body dolly?

Do you paint color right over the Lizard skin? I have some areas on my body where I will be running the exhaust underneath the car and I figure it will get much hotter there...so looking for ways to insulate....I am assuming that the lizard skin goes on the side nearest the heat source.....

let me know...

regards, Herb

Looks really goood John...I was wondering how that was comming. Looks like it's going to be just as nice as the 59.

By the way...I don't suppose you will selling the "59 when this one is done ..will you? I know the building of the projects is where the therapy is for you. Understandable since you you are such an accompolished corvette connoisseur and builder.

We did make the trip to Austin for the new grandbaby arrival....but the day I planned to set a side for visiting you and Billy Dawson was cut short. My wife was having severe stomach pains...recurring ulser problem. So she really needed to get home...her diet while out of town was helter skelter and caught up with her I guess. Anyway I really was dissappointed that I didn't get do some of the corvette stuff...just wasn't possible this trip. Hopefully I can before long...fall weather sure inspires me to get things done too.

...anyway congrats on the progress good to see that someone is making some headway...kinda lights a fire under us slowpokes. You are using an Ls2 for this one correct and what is Lizard skin? After you undercoat the fender wells will they be painted...or left alone, since the frame is black (if I recall correctly)?

Best regards..Stan

Hi Stan,

Sorry you could not make it over when you were down, but you are welcome anytime.
Yep, there is a good possibility that I will be selling the 59 by the spring time.
You are right, that after a car is complete, I am just looking toward the next one. If I get an offer over $100K, I will probably sell the car, but I sure am enjoying driving it, and if I don't sell it, it won't break my heart!

Yes, the 65 is getting a brand-new LS2 in it with the new 4L65E trans in it.
The wheelwells will be left black to make no color show under the wheelwells.
Everything outboard of the frame will be black, and everything inboard of the frame will be red. All of the suspension is chrome powdercoated. It should make for a very sharp looking color combo. Still have not settled on the interior selection yet, but have narrowed it down to black/white or silver.

Regards, John McGraw

John, I was looking at your photos.....how did you get the bottom of the car painted red and not get any color on the body dolly?

Do you paint color right over the Lizard skin? I have some areas on my body where I will be running the exhaust underneath the car and I figure it will get much hotter there...so looking for ways to insulate....I am assuming that the lizard skin goes on the side nearest the heat source.....

let me know...

regards, Herb

Hi Herb,

The Sata gun that I use does not have a lot of overspray, and is very easy to control. I don't get concerned about getting paint on the rotissere, but is usually does not get much anyway. I argued with myself for a long time about buying the Sata RP gun, but now that I have one, I would pay twice as much if i had to, to replace it. I have not even picked up my Binks or CA gun ever since I bought it. I liked it so much that I bought a Sata KLC RP primer gun a few months ago to keep it company.:L

Before I shoot the main body, I will have the car masked up completely to prevent getting dry overspray on the part already painted, and to keep me from blowing dust out of hidden nooks and crannies.

Yep, you can just shoot right over the lizzard skin with any paint system after it is fully cured. It can be sprayed on either side of the floor, but most people just spray it on the inside under the carpet. I actually sprayed it on both sides of the body to hopefully increase it's effectiveness. I am still skeptical that it is as good as all the street rod guys say it is, but I am keeping an open mind. I will tell you that I sprayed a piece of sheet metal with the stuff while shooting the car, and if I put this piece of metal and an uncoated one side by side in the sun, the difference is absolutely amazing! After sitting in the sun for an hour, you can hardly put your hand on the uncoated piece, but the underside of the coated piece is about 30-35 degrees cooler than the uncoated piece.

Regards, John McGraw

This is the first I've heard of Lizzard Skin. From the post I gather is has insulating properties. Where is it available? Thanks...vetzs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom