Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help choosing headlamp replacement

Back9

Corvette
'04 MY Vert MT6
Looking for the best solution to improving the headlamps on my C5. Changed bulbs to the Silverstars, but would prefer something brighter that illuminates the road further out. Can anyine offer guidance?

If you are looking to just change the bulbs out I would recommend the PIAA bulbs.

I think I want to go with something more high tech, maybe a HID system. Don't wnat to do it myself because I'm afraid I'll foul something up. Any idea where you go to get this kind of work done professionally and reliably?

Im waiting on the wisdom on this thread also. Would like to be able to see a little better at night.

Im waiting on the wisdom on this thread also. Would like to be able to see a little better at night.
trade it in on a C-6 as that is one of the features i like of the C-6 over the C-5. since my 72 year old eyes are not what they used to be the C-6 lights are a blessing

trade it in on a C-6 as that is one of the features i like of the C-6 over the C-5. since my 72 year old eyes are not what they used to be the C-6 lights are a blessing

You're dead right -- my brother just got a C6 and I drove it one evening about a week ago. It was like driving with Boeing 767 lights out front!!!

There are some very nice HID systems for the C5. I googled "c5 hid" and got a handfull to choose from but geez they are expensive.

I think I want to go with something more high tech, maybe a HID system. Don't wnat to do it myself because I'm afraid I'll foul something up. Any idea where you go to get this kind of work done professionally and reliably?

I have the European light system form PFYC. These are the headlamps that are in the exported C5's. I am using a PIAA bulb that runs on the standard 55/60 wattage but the light output is supposed to be equivalent to a 135 watt bulb. The lights are great. I can finally see at night and the beam pattern is spread out across and down the road. This is a great investment.

rwlc5,

I'm about 35minutes from Bel Air over in Delaware and I get over your way frequently to visit family there. Any chance I could get a look at your lighting set-up sometime?

Thanks!

Looking for the best solution to improving the headlamps on my C5. Changed bulbs to the Silverstars, but would prefer something brighter that illuminates the road further out. Can anyine offer guidance?

Take the time to read what this guy has to say and save yourself some time and expense. Very knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Good luck.....

My son and daughter got me a set of HID's for Christmas last year and son installed them. I see things I never saw before! No one has ever flashed me so I guess they are not bothersome to oncoming drivers. Love the look too!

Did the Silverstars make a difference?
STW, Dave

I installed Silverstars about a year ago. Yes, they are an improvement over stock.

The light appears to be brighter and more white. The dispersion is about the same. It is no less wide nor far.

They were worth the cost and definitely are worth the little effort to install.

Peter

SilverStars are quite an improvement over stock lamps but Toshiba HIR 9011's are supposed be be quite a step up from the SilverStars and don't require wiring modifications to the car.

I have SilverStars in my truck but I'm going to opt foe a set of these and see how they perform. If the improvement is worth the extra investment then I'll upgrade my daily driver as well...:upthumbs

For what they cost, I found the Silverstars to be an excellent purchase. Bulbs dim and color-shift over time and the lamps in my 2000 were very yellow and appeared dull. The Silverstars give me a very nice white light, increased range and are considerably brighter.

I changed the low beams only at first, but while on a trip to Arkansas I had the need to use my Hi-beams several times. After switching from "brite and white" to "dull and yellow", I knew what had to be done. Upon returning home, the first thing I did was replace the Hi-beams as well.

My second vehicle is a GMC Yukon and I bought lows and hi's for it at the same time.

Money well spent. IMO

I am glade it is ok to install Sliverstars in 2000 Corvette my Chev dealer service department said they would not do it and didn't recommend making the change, but what has been said here sounds like no problem.

90/135w low and high beam? Police and other drivers will be all over you. The lens's with DOT legal 55/60 bulbs won't help much, and again are not DOT compliant, if you are worried about such things. These are for off road use only legally.

I had those and they worked Great, but I got tired of the popups and put on some C5R's with HID's and now it's daytime at night! :D

I hear that the PIAA driving lights are VERY bright too. Aiming them is what's the most important part of not getting lights flashed at you.

Our_C5e.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom