Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Larry, what did you do for trim and glass?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I have priced getting the trim repaired and polished as well as the side windows replaced.....did you get new stuff or keep your old? if so, who did the job on fixing them? what about your glass? I know what you did for the windshield, what about the side glass?

let me know....Herb

Herb

All of my chrome was re-used

bumpers, windsheild post, rear plate surround

I reused all of the windshields stainless and just polished it on my baldor buffer. Some of the windshild trim pieces I had to tap out a small nic/dent I filled a pillow case with sand from my blasting cabinet and then just pushed, tweaked, manipulated the dents/nics with anything and everything I could find laying around the house.I ended up shaping differant shapes on a childs wooden bat I had found at a garage sale (I always stop in garage sales looking for old tools, Dont specifly go out to them but If I see one I stop)

All of my other bright work, including the fender tops was purchased as re-production pieces

I started to order the bright work the day I made a deal on the 62 as I figured I was going to run out of money or parts were going to be back ordered.

I did allot of buisness with paragon and it seamed most of the stuff cames from trim parts.

The grill surrounds did not fit well. I spent hours fitting them to the car, then having the body shop fit the car to them.

The only thing I was not thrilled with are the marker lights and the tail lights as every now and then You have to fiddle with the electrical connection as a light may go out.

Also the surround that goes around the center heater console (seperating the carpet from the painted area) is starting to pit.

I encountered 2 back orders on my car

1-was the rear convertable latch tie downs
2-was the horn button. I originally wanted to keep the original horm button for the car just for the oldness of it but after polishing it ,it still looked like an ole POS horn button so I replaced it

I purchased my parts in like 1000 to 800 dollar orders as I was making deals with suppliers on shipping charges and discounts.

I was probably getting orders every week

Herb,
The window glass is flat so it can be cut by any auto glass shop. They reinstalled the stainless trim around the new glass. No problems encountered.

I also ordered a new windshield from a local auto glass shop. Saved allot on shipping. The windshield only came tinted, not clear like the original, but that was what I wanted.

One more thing... The new front grill chrome mouldings did not fit perfectly so I compensated by doing some minor body work and test fitting the pieces before painting so I had no surprises after the paint was done.

One more thing... The new front grill chrome mouldings did not fit perfectly so I compensated by doing some minor body work and test fitting the pieces before painting so I had no surprises after the paint was done.
that is the plan.....

I also ordered a new windshield from a local auto glass shop. Saved allot on shipping. The windshield only came tinted, not clear like the original, but that was what I wanted.
I got a brand new windshield off ebay for $125. Guy bought it and then didnt use it in his '59. he put it on ebay with no reserve to get it out of his garage....my dad picked it up for me, 7 miles from his house....I went down to visit with him a month or so ago and brought it home from Virginia.....got a good deal I think.....I need to replace the windshield on my 64....it has a lot of wiper lines in it and such....be nice to see out of a clear windshield...but need to get the 60 done first.....one project at a time!

Are you going to be rebuilding the windsheild assembly ?

That is one job I would have loved to pay somebody else to do

I was a nervous wreck doing it, I had the thing not wanting to go together

And John McGraw in the back of my mind saying "you just whack it"

Needless to say I deciced No big deal if I crack it I get another one,just give it a whack. Well I whacked it and it started to go together
Good luck

Are you going to be rebuilding the windsheild assembly ?

That is one job I would have loved to pay somebody else to do

I was a nervous wreck doing it, I had the thing not wanting to go together

And John McGraw in the back of my mind saying "you just whack it"

Needless to say I deciced No big deal if I crack it I get another one,just give it a whack. Well I whacked it and it started to go together
Good luck
I saved your web site postings....and there are some others....yes, I am going to do it myself....full speed ahead captain!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom