Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Putty" in Windshield Pillar Frame?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Helllo All,

When I disassembled my windshield frame, I found a bunch of putty type material inside the pillar header channel – mostly in the corners.

What is this stuff and is this supposed to be there? If so, do I need to replace it? Thanks.

Ralph
:w

We used that in GM way back when. The shop term was dumb,dumb. Why they called it that I don't know. It was used to help stop water leaks.

Actually, we called it "dum-dum" in the plant - same stuff is available today from 3M as "Strip-Caulk"; any automotive body/paint supply store will have it.

:beer

We used that in GM way back when. The shop term was dumb,dumb. Why they called it that I don't know. It was used to help stop water leaks.

Actually, we called it "dum-dum" in the plant - same stuff is available today from 3M as "Strip-Caulk"; any automotive body/paint supply store will have it.
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Is this dum-dum stuff needed?

You diden't say if you removed the windshield. If you have and plan on reinstalling it you may go with urethane sealer. The older cars used a butyal ribbon tape. Which is out lawed in some if not all states. If you use the urethane you won't need to use the dum dum.

You diden't say if you removed the windshield. If you have and plan on reinstalling it you may go with urethane sealer. The older cars used a butyal ribbon tape. Which is out lawed in some if not all states. If you use the urethane you won't need to use the dum dum.
It was only Outlawed where Unitized Construction was Involved!!! Unitized vehicles must have glass set with Urethane,or Structural Integrity is Compromised!!:upthumbs

junk!!

I have the windshield out. The pillars have all been prepped and cleaned. I'm almost ready for the new windshield, replacement weatherstripping, etc.

Urethane sounds like the way to go.

Thanks.

:w

GM never used butyl tape for fixed glass installations - they used Thiokol in the 60's-70's, then changed to urethane; butyl was used by many aftermarket glass shops for replacement windshields, but it won't pass the required MVSS 208 impact requirements.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom