Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 4 Spd

Garagetoyz

Corvette
78 Silver Anniversary 4 spd Crate engine
Can anyone tell me what type of manual trans came in my 1978? Is it a T10 or muncie?. I dont have access to my car right now but I want to order a rebuild kit for it..thx (Stock was an L48)

Same as mine, Muncie MM4 4-spd, Wide Ratio Manual Transmission.

I had a reference book out to help with another thread.It states that all 4-speeds used in 78-81 were the T-10.Look at the production code on the drivers side flange,if the first letter is a W then you have a T-10.The next numbers are the date of production.The last number indicates wide ratio or close ratio.1 is the wide ratio.

Thanks a lot for the tips gents. I have a list of things to do this winter on the car ,the most pressing is to get the trans/clutch/rear seal straightened out. I went down to the shop to see the car and look underneath, and as it turns out someone had installed a scattershield at one point, sounds odd that I dont know this but it's been running great since I've owned it so I never looked. Wonder what else I'll discover as I tear it down.

Wrong, according to John Z, myself, and others who know.

All 4 speeds from '75 to '81 are Warner ST10 from the factory..

Wrong, check your facts!

To quote a NCRS parts expert..
"Actually, what you have here is a "Muncie" transmission, but it's not what we all think of as a Muncie. For 1978 and 1979 Corvettes with L-48 used a 4 speed transmission that was very similar to the Saginaw 4 speed of the late 60s-early 70s. Production of this transmission was transferred to Muncie, IN and the unit became known as a "Muncie".

Garagetoyz,

While us "Experts" p*ss back and forth about who is right or wrong, here is a site that has pictures of the side cases of the transmission(s) that are said to be correct for your and my car. This should help you id what one you have in the car.

http://www.dandltransmission.com/tran1.jpg

Good luck,
Bob

Thx for the info...Most of my friends I have asked say the same reply that we are saying here..one guy says its T10..other muncie. I can only get under the passenger side right now and I see numbers on the case. Ill drag a light under there tmmrw or take a photo.

This link may help answer a few future questions about your 78

http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/
I found a mistake unles I read it wrong.It stated that Special paint models had silver interior.We all have seen different colors used in these cars.I know of a one owner SP SA that has a red interior.Ostyer (silver) wasn't the only interior color offered.

Wrong, check your facts!

To quote a NCRS parts expert..
"Actually, what you have here is a "Muncie" transmission, but it's not what we all think of as a Muncie. For 1978 and 1979 Corvettes with L-48 used a 4 speed transmission that was very similar to the Saginaw 4 speed of the late 60s-early 70s. Production of this transmission was transferred to Muncie, IN and the unit became known as a "Muncie".

Please steer me to that NCRS expert. I've never heard that before.

Here is my expert:

John Z
Date of Birth:
February 27th, 1941
Nickname:
John
Retired Viper Plant Manager
Interests:
Corvette/Camaro/Ferrari; Technical Editor, "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, Chairman, NCRS Michigan Chapter, NCRS Master Judge.
Biography:
37 years in Engineering and Manufacturing with GM and Chrysler; worked for Zora in the Corvette Group in '67-'68. Have done six body-offs in the last 30 years, and built a tube-frame Grand Sport. Now retired, in my 2500 sq. ft. dream garage!
Corvette:
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
Corvette Club:
Chairman, NCRS Michigan Chapter; member, GMC Corvette Set
NCRS Member?:
Yes

And he says :

"From '62 to '65, the engine option determined whether you got a wide-ratio (M20) or close-ratio (M21) gearset - it wasn't a customer choice, and the M21 option code which provided that choice didn't appear until 1966. All 4-speeds prior to '62 had close-ratio gearsets.

All Corvette 4-speeds from 1975-1981 were Warner Super T-10's."

Thanks,

Count the number of bolts holding the shifter cover on the side of the trans...
Munskys had 7
T-10s had 9

The only exception to the Super T-10 usage from '75-up was the 4-speed used only in '78 and '79, and only with the L-48 base engine; it was an "orphan" 4-speed based on the old Saginaw 3-speed, with all three shifter shafts in the side cover, manufactured for only two years at the Muncie plant from Saginaw tooling for that low-volume application. They weren't very strong and parts for them are very hard to find, and many have been replaced with Muncies or Super T-10's. I've never seen one or had one on my bench.

:beer

4 speed transmission

bobs78:

I stand corrected by John Z.

You were correct about the Saginaw design being produced at the Muncie plant.

Not a very good transmission, according to John Z.

Again, my apolgies.

I had one(or three) of those saginaw 4 speeds in a 1975 factory V8 Monza in high school.The headaches that transmisson gave me.The only good thing was after i broke one the local boneyard would sell me another for$75.00.Now that im remenicing about that car i'd like to have it back.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom