Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Those "other" headlight bushings - help

R

rmCole

Dudes and Dudetts
Anybody know how to install those "other" headlight bushings - the ones that go on the linkages and shafts? I decided to replace them while working on the motor thrust bushings. BIG mistake. So far I only broke one.

I got them at Corvette Central - part no. 444301 "HEADLIGHT MOTOR LINKAGE BUSHING / PIVOT"
yb.dll

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Dudes and Dudetts
Anybody know how to install those "other" headlight bushings - the ones that go on the linkages and shafts? I decided to replace them while working on the motor thrust bushings. BIG mistake. So far I only broke one.

I got them at Corvette Central - part no. 444301 "HEADLIGHT MOTOR LINKAGE BUSHING / PIVOT"
yb.dll

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Brent Franker [bfranker@tampabay.rr.com] email Brent and ask, he was a great guy and answered my questions. Another member here gave me his web site. Hope this helps and PM me as what you did as I am waiting for my bushings and new gear(just in case it is bad) It looks like there are small C clips that hold the washers on the linkage,is this what you are working on?

Thanks for the contact. I sent him an e-mail this morning. I'm on hold until i learn more, these things are too expensive to break. They need to be compressed to get into the hole, but the linkage diameter seems to big. Just pressing in the linkage after the bushing is in the hole just breaks the bushing. Must be some trick i'm missing.

Thanks

Thanks for the contact. I sent him an e-mail this morning. I'm on hold until i learn more, these things are too expensive to break. They need to be compressed to get into the hole, but the linkage diameter seems to big. Just pressing in the linkage after the bushing is in the hole just breaks the bushing. Must be some trick i'm missing.

Thanks

Let me know what the cure is. As I have the new nylon gear, bushings/pins that go inside the gear. So before I take all this apart I want the information what you are doing. Please PM me when you get your fixed.
Thanks
Louis

E-mail from Brent indicated he has not fooled with these bushings. I have no other sources at present to help us. Your work with the gears and pins will not be impacted except that while the light unit is off the car it is convenient to replace the linkage bushings if needed.

By the way - be warned the instructions fail to mention there is a gasket between the lid and body of the gear casing. At least my 94 had one. It fell apart when I took the pieces apart. So you might try to get that before you start. I had to use silicon gasket maker since I took everthing apart before I found it.

good luck - I'll keep trying to find a better way to replace the linkage bushings.

E-mail from Brent indicated he has not fooled with these bushings. I have no other sources at present to help us. Your work with the gears and pins will not be impacted except that while the light unit is off the car it is convenient to replace the linkage bushings if needed.

By the way - be warned the instructions fail to mention there is a gasket between the lid and body of the gear casing. At least my 94 had one. It fell apart when I took the pieces apart. So you might try to get that before you start. I had to use silicon gasket maker since I took everthing apart before I found it.

good luck - I'll keep trying to find a better way to replace the linkage bushings.

Do you have a Dial Caliper to measure the diameter of the shaft? I was thinking maybe there is a taper in it. And one end is larger than the other?( I have not looked to see if it is possible to have the shaft backwards from the way it was) Just a thought. Did the bushings come off easy when you removed it from the hood? If they were hard to remove, you can put the shaft in the freezer over night and then the next day put the metal bushings in Hot water( pan on the stove) and try to slide them on while the bushings are still Hot and the shaft is Cold. I just can't imagine GM would have sweat them on.

We might be talking about different things. These plastic bushings are located on the outside of the motor and gear housing. They are on the linkages that connect the linkages from the motor/gearbox to the headlight. Each shaft on the light assembly has one. You are right that the shaft diameter is an issue. The original bushings are very thin and allow a lot of room to push the shaft through. I can't tell how much is wear and how thick the original bushing was. Maybe the replacements are not up to original spec.

We might be talking about different things. These plastic bushings are located on the outside of the motor and gear housing. They are on the linkages that connect the linkages from the motor/gearbox to the headlight. Each shaft on the light assembly has one. You are right that the shaft diameter is an issue. The original bushings are very thin and allow a lot of room to push the shaft through. I can't tell how much is wear and how thick the original bushing was. Maybe the replacements are not up to original spec.

I looked at my linkage and see what you are doing. My 96 linkage shafts are are on two places. The block on the motor that has the roll pin I have to remove. And at the top of the motor the other linkage arm. It looks like a small C clip holds them on. My guess you have a bushing for older C4. If the shaft is not worn, it is got to be a incorrect part#.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom