Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New to me---battery issue

HORSESCO

Corvette
2002 electron blue coupe
As some of you know I just became a c5 (2002) coupe owner, and I am now running into the "battery issue" the first damn day. Anyway took it to my chevy dealer, who i actually like, and they said the battery was fine just needed a "recharge", with a trickle charger overnight. (The battery on this car had been replaced in july 2004 according to dealer records) So i went and bought one--needed on anyway with 3 cars--- and put it on for about 5.5 hrs.(took it off about 130a) Today it started fine so we will see, it has a volts reading of 14.1 (according to the dic) is that good enough? What is the normal range. i know this has been asked a million times but any help would be great. Thanks

Today it started fine so we will see, it has a volts reading of 14.1 (according to the dic) is that good enough? What is the normal range. i know this has been asked a million times but any help would be great. Thanks

Mine always runs between 13.9 and 14.whatever so that sounds right. Good luck - my baby has been in the shop all week (ha ha, 3 days) and I miss it! :cry

My 04 Z06 runs about 14.3 volts so it looks like you're all set..:w

HI there,
JUST REMEMBER, a correct battery draw check and test is critical to how these cars perform.
And, the IPC may have to be recalibrated to the CORRECT voltage values.
Allthebest, c4c5:bang

My battery goes dead every 2-3 weeks just sitting in the garage. The dealer didn't find a problem. Is it time for a battery or a different dealer???
Thanks

I bought my 2001 Coupe a year ago on Dec. 5th and it snowed the next day so it had to sit in the garage a couple of days. The battery was dead when I went to drive it next. I charged it up and haven't had a problem since. The guy I got it from left it in the garage most of the time so I'm thinking it was low due to just sitting around too much. Now it's a Daily Driver and I haven't had any problems with the battery since last year.
STW, Doc

my 97 gets driven less often now that winter has set in, so I use a solar charger 1.8 amp to keep battery (Optima yellow top) up. The charger sets in the window of garage.

my 97 gets driven less often now that winter has set in, so I use a solar charger 1.8 amp to keep battery (Optima yellow top) up. The charger sets in the window of garage.

Be careful using a solar charger, you need a 'smart' charger and I've never seen one of those in the solar version. You need something that will only put out current when the battery needs it and every solar charger I've seen puts out current all the time which can over charge the battery and ruin it. I've been using a regulated solar charger for my Ham Station for about a year now but added a $40 solar regulator first to keep from over charging.
STW, Doc

Be careful using a solar charger, you need a 'smart' charger and I've never seen one of those in the solar version. You need something that will only put out current when the battery needs it and every solar charger I've seen puts out current all the time which can over charge the battery and ruin it. I've been using a regulated solar charger for my Ham Station for about a year now but added a $40 solar regulator first to keep from over charging.
STW, Doc
Check out www.icpglobal.com I'am using Battery SAVER PLUS 1.8 Watts never overcharges. according to them.

Had the same problem with the battry going dd. I've since changed to Optima red top and I've been puting the car in reverse bafore turning it of. Never had problem since, it always eads aroun 14.3.:w

Had the same problem with the battry going dd. I've since changed to Optima red top and I've been puting the car in reverse bafore turning it of. Never had problem since, it always eads aroun 14.3.:w

...putting it in reverse....why would that matter ?

And BTW, never had a problem with mine (looks like a stock battery) but will probably add a trickel charger this winter.
Any consensus on what brand / model works best?

Can't tell you exacly why putting it in reverse makes differance, I've herd a long time ago that doing this cancels some monitoring functions of the BCM and in return helps to drow less curent when not operated for longer periods of time. For me it works, like knocking on wood i dont know why, I just due it.
:eyerole :L :w :lou HAPPY NEW YEAR!

...putting it in reverse....why would that matter ?

And BTW, never had a problem with mine (looks like a stock battery) but will probably add a trickel charger this winter.
Any consensus on what brand / model works best?

If you still have the original battery in a 2001, it has lasted longer than average. I would not be surprised to see it fail before long. It has been the experience of many on the CAC that they simply stop functioning rather suddenly, rather than just fade away.

Ah.....good to know (both).
And yup, I dont know if it's the original battery, but if it is, you're right, it's been in there pretty long now. I'll keep an eye on it (running at like 14 when moving and 13.3 when parked).

Any consensus on which battery charger is a good one?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom