Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Assist Can Replacement

fla10000

Corvette
1993 Coupe Black
1993 : Had to stand on my brakes to get them to actuate, all the while hearing a sucking sound under my dash.

Replacement comes in two cash categories, plastic and metal. Which would be better. Any tricks or tips?

1993 : Had to stand on my brakes to get them to actuate, all the while hearing a sucking sound under my dash.

Replacement comes in two cash categories, plastic and metal. Which would be better. Any tricks or tips?

Well, replacing the power brake booster is a major PITA!!! Mine went dead while driving to the mall with my wife so I had to return home and drive my wife's Impala. I went to a shop and they replaced the unit with a remanufactured one that lasted about a year and a few days (as soon as the 1-year warranty expired).:mad
So, I bought a metal one from Midamerica motorworks:

fr3994.jpg

I had a tough time installing it due to a back injury but finally finished the job. I then drove out to try it and at the first hard braking, something inside the booster broke with a loud "crack" and I was back to square one. Drove back home using both feet to press the brake pedal to make the car stop.
Removed the booster (damn the bolts holding it to the floorboard) and returned it for a no- hassle reimbursement.
The car sat until I managed to get one locally.

Midamerica also has the unit seen below but it costs $300.00 plus shipping.
fr717.jpg

Called a local Pep Boys store and they put a special order to their local supplier and in 3 days I had a remanufactured unit just like the one above for a mere $139.00 and a lifetime warranty.
It was installed by yours truly for over a year with no problems whatsoever.
By the way, my Vette is a 1987 Coupe but I guess it is a PITA in any year model.
A tip: when getting the firewall bolts out use a deep socket wrench (I forget the size) with a swivel joint and extensions with a ratchet. Then put some masking or electric tape inside the socket for a snug fit to the nuts so they won't fall while maneuvering under the dash. Believe me, those bolts fall and it is a PITA to get out of the car and find them.
Good luck.:cool

Power assist can

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to go hydro boost. Never had much power brake after I reworked the valve train anyway. Besides this summer I am droping in a 406 cid small block which really will not have much vaccuummmmm.

I replaced the boost im my 86, with a re-manufactured unit, first one was bad, so I had to do it a second time. They do say the metal unit is better, but your looking at more$$.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom