Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Brakes, what are our options?

Yes but alas it does not fit the runflats either...

For "Big Brakes,"

...I think the Run-Flat's have to go, sorry. :(

www.stoptech.com

StopTech said:
Most cars require upgraded wheels to fit over a big brake kit, but some kits do fit in stock wheels. When a kit fits stock wheels, this is noted in the kit description. To view this description, click on the part number for the particular kit of interest after searching on make, year and model in our online ordering system.
General guidelines for wheel fitment are below, but more important than the diameter of the wheel is the space between the face of the caliper and the inside of the wheel spokes. Wheel width and offset have nothing to do with this clearance area. Clearance is strictly a function of the spoke design. Even is the diameter of your wheel is sufficient, we still recommend that you check fitment.
Easy-to-use templates and instructions on how to use them are under Technical Information/ Wheel Fitment on this web site. These templates will allow you to accurately test fit any wheel. Be sure you check wheel fitment before committing to a wheel set.

wheel_fitting.jpg
Kits usually require these minimum wheel diameters:
ST-40 calipers (4 Piston)

328mm rotor (12.9 inches) - 17 inch wheel
332mm rotor (13 inches) - 17 inch wheel
355mm rotor (14 inches) - 18 inch wheel
380mm rotor (15 inches) - 19 inch wheel

ST-60 calipers (6 piston)

328mm rotor (12.9 inches) - 17inch wheel
332mm rotor (13 inches) - 17inch wheel
355mm rotor (14 inches) - 18inch wheel
380mm rotor (15 inches) - 19inch wheel

ST-80 calipers (8 piston)

380mm rotor (15 inches) - 19inch wheel

Checking wheel fitment is the responsibility of the customer.

Yes but alas it does not fit the runflats either...

Get some of those disk brake dust covers from Summit and put a Callaway or Brembo logo on it :) That way it will LOOK like you have an upgraded brake system.

FS

Get some of those disk brake dust covers from Summit and put a Callaway or Brembo logo on it :) That way it will LOOK like you have an upgraded brake system.

FS

We better try this option on your cars for safety first ;)

I'll stick with the J55...for now

call wilwood brakes and talk to carl bush. he will give you the straight story

Yes, try Willwood, Baer or AP. Good luck :)

Groeten Peter.

Peter, while I do agree that there are numerous companies out there that can provide brakes, the problem is getting "bigger brakes" for those RunFlat rims.

The Runflat rims are by design, a stepped-down design rim on its inside. While it is a 17" rim for the purpose of tire fitment, it measures like a 16" rim on the inner diameter - it is like nothing I had seen before.

With that said, it is tough to get a bigger caliper in there, that won't bind on the inner rim surface :eek

Brembo, Mov-It (which uses a modified Brembo calper), Baer, Stop-Tech, Wilwood, Alcon, etc. all do/should have a good C4 package avail. - but is it bigger??? and most importantly, will it fit??? :confused

Big MOVIT Brakes - they fit GM A-Mold 17" 5-spoke rims w/ out problems.
attachment.php

Trying to fit the RUN-FLAT...

attachment.php

But... :(

*89x2* said:
Hey Shopview, Good news, bad news...

You can run the brakes Bluewasp has, by putting Dymags on (or wheels like BoostedMaxPSI's OZ's) however, due to the internal "hump" that lessens the diameter of the inner section of the Callaway Run-flat wheels, they will not work - they bind up and cannot be used.

...also fit w/ Dymags:

attachment.php

16 inch on the inside eh? Perhaps that means the Brembo Ferrari F-40 brakes might fit?

16 inch on the inside eh? Perhaps that means the Brembo Ferrari F-40 brakes might fit?

Ah you are on the right track

Yes F40 Brakes do but only with a modified bracket and the tolerance is so tight that if the wheel hub ever started movement it would be all over for that wheel....trust me from experience :mad ....

Classified Ad: Needed: 1 Right Runflat wheel for the past 3 years (for my backup set of course)

Thanks to another board member here we know that 320mm Rotors from Movit willl work but....we are patiently awaiting negotiations with them by Callaway for a Callaway system ;help

I see you know your Ferrari's though so please by all means come talk with my wife!

I don't know my Ferraris all that well honestly... I just know a few things about just about every car. In the case of the F40, I only knew the F40 Brembos would fit because Callaway recommended them for C8s. They also recommended Brembo Lotus brakes according to one article (smaller rotors) but I don't see any Lotus listings on the Brembo website. According to my records, the F40 ones have 332 mm discs and the Lotus ones have 313 mm discs.

But since we're talking Ferraris... this is my favorite Ferrari of them all; I believe this F50 is one of a kind in this color:
blue-ferrari-f50.jpg

It was for sale at Ferrari of Dallas a few years ago.

You got a good point there Chris.
With 16" space you're not very lucky in the brake choices you got..
But even if going bigger isn't an option changing the calipers to a fixed 4 piston type will upgrade the system to my knowledge. And second, it's even more important that you know the limits of your system. If you don't know or are not willing to test the brake system on the limit you'll not know how it reacts and such a situation. Then it will be nice to see but not worth the money I think :)

Groeten Peter.

You got a good point there Chris.
With 16" space you're not very lucky in the brake choices you got..
But even if going bigger isn't an option changing the calipers to a fixed 4 piston type will upgrade the system to my knowledge. And second, it's even more important that you know the limits of your system. If you don't know or are not willing to test the brake system on the limit you'll not know how it reacts and such a situation. Then it will be nice to see but not worth the money I think :)

Groeten Peter.

Peter, that is true - the more rigid caliper may be about all that can be done, other than a slotted or drilled rotor, as there just isn't much room inside those Run-Flats :(

So the Movit calipers are avail right now - in fact, I think Bluewasp has a set, ready to ship, in red :cool

If the point however, is to have the calipers say "CALLAWAY" on them, that will take time.
The folks at Callaway Cars are certainly aware of the desire from the C4 guys for this - it is just trying to balance the limited need for brakes vs. the mainstream sales of SC cars / packages and of course, bulding the new C16 :cool

Keep in mind, other than the new Callaway Alcon brakes, the other brakes offered by Callaway Cars over the years (for the Y-body) never said Callaway on them. Not even the Brembos...

image9.gif

image10.gif

lurk5.gif

MOV'IT brakes can make a kit to fit shopview's car and his runflat rims.

As far as the brembo/movit kit. I have one for sale... contact me if anyone is interested.

Ah you are on the right track

Yes F40 Brakes do but only with a modified bracket and the tolerance is so tight that if the wheel hub ever started movement it would be all over for that wheel....trust me from experience :mad ....

Classified Ad: Needed: 1 Right Runflat wheel for the past 3 years (for my backup set of course)

Thanks to another board member here we know that 320mm Rotors from Movit willl work but....we are patiently awaiting negotiations with them by Callaway for a Callaway system ;help

I see you know your Ferrari's though so please by all means come talk with my wife!

Shopview.... I think you are going to be waiting a LONG LONG LONG time if you want callaway to give the OK to put their name on the side of a brake caliper, movit or not...

I can order you MOVIT calipers with a blank face. You can then have a custom callaway logo decal made and you can apply the decal. I know someone that can make the decal. I also know of someone that can cnc the custom logos into the face.... Callaway and several people on this forum wouldn't be happy if you did that...

As of right now movit isn't in talks with callaway... Movit did make one "callaway" kit for an impala SS for Callaway of germany.... Maybe calling callaway of germany can get things rolling for you. ?

I thought about it, and the so-called "Brembo Lotus" brakes were an option left open to Camaro owners who did not want to change to OZ Monte Carlos or the run flats most likely. Essentially, it was likely more of an option for people just getting the SNAT in their Camaros. I believe Ogle's '93 Camaro the SNAT was prototyped on (for Camaro purposes) may have had the "Brembo Lotus" brakes. These would indeed fit the stock 16 inch Camaro Z28 wheels I would assume.

You might notice that Brembo strangely does NOT offer a package for '93-'97 Camaros, nor a package for the previous '82-'92 Camaros on their website. In '98-'02 Chevy upgraded the Z28s to 17 inch wheels, so I doubt the package offered on their website would fit the 16 inch wheels of '82-'97 Camaros.

I don't know if this information is helpful to you guys or not, but for what it is worth, here is a link:
http://camarotech.com/brakes-Brembo.html
It says that the Firehawk package for 3rd gen Camaros required 17 inch wheels...

Happy to help if it does indeed help...

Whichever (F40 or Lotus) package for the C8 included:
o Front: Brembo vented discs, 12.9” diameter, 4-piston calipers, ABS
o Rear: Brembo vented discs, 12.3” diameter, 2-piston calipers, ABS

and these would fit:
o Callaway/Bridgestone Run-Flats: 9.5x17
o O.Z. Monte Carlo: 9.5x17

Here are pictures of the C4 Corvette brembo F40 caliper kit installed on my car. I ran this kit for several years before upgrading to the movit 6 piston. This kit requires 17inch rims and they will not clear the Callaway run flat rims.

F40 caliper VS MOV'IT 6s1 billet caliper
dsc01453__medium_.jpg

Here is a picture of MOVIT's 6 piston billet caliper for 16inch rims.
movit6-16rim.jpg

Here is a picture of MOVIT's 6 piston billet caliper for 16inch rims.
movit6-16rim.jpg

What size rotor will fit with those binders, :confused with the run-flats? :confused

Bluewasp, you are right in that it will take time for the decision process to run its course on the brakes, IF the name "CALLAWAY" is to be considered.

Callaway Cars and the German Competition division report to the same manager so I would imagine that ultimately, the decision is one & the same.

I am sure the brakes are going to be reviewed at some point for whether or not production could occur - keeping in mind, it would have to be a full line of brakes - one set that works for those who want to run their Run-Flats, and another for 17" wheels and larger...

I hope this helps - Thank you for ALL the info you have provided for this - I am certain that it is appreciated.
- Chris. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom