Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

door handle replacement

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
I guess this common on our c3's.

How do you change the outside door handle and/or spring on a 81.

My drivers side outside latch spring is not as tight as it should be.

The door opens and closes normally,but the outside hanle dosent retract or close all the way.

As always, thanks in advance, later, Ken

Ken, I just changed the pass side outside door handle on our '78. Not a fun job, but not that bad. Our handle broke at bottom where linkage connects and would not open the door. Remove door panel, disconnect linkage that runs from bottom of handle (found it easier to do at end of linkage rather than at handle end), undo 2 nuts at base of handle, rear most one is rather difficult. Good luck - take your time - GaryC - '78 Pace Car - Indiana

Ken, I just changed the pass side outside door handle on our '78. Not a fun job, but not that bad. Our handle broke at bottom where linkage connects and would not open the door. Remove door panel, disconnect linkage that runs from bottom of handle (found it easier to do at end of linkage rather than at handle end), undo 2 nuts at base of handle, rear most one is rather difficult. Good luck - take your time - GaryC - '78 Pace Car - Indiana

Find someone with small hands and long fingers too :L

i bought the little spring fix repair pc from mid america 3 years ago and it has not let me down yet....cant tell its there and didnt have to do anything but insert it ...took about 1 minute to do, cost about $10....easy fix until i find the small hands to replace the actual handle.:D

Chas

Chas, I think i saw that $10 tool in the MA catalog also.

Seemed to easy, Do you really just have to insert it the outer handle,or still take the inside panel apart.

Ken

Chas, I think i saw that $10 tool in the MA catalog also.

Seemed to easy, Do you really just have to insert it the outer handle,or still take the inside panel apart.

Ken

Yup. insert it under the handle and its done.....becarefull not to close the spring all the way as it will break in two....voice of experience.....I broke the first one and got it right the second time. It took less than a minute and has yet to fail. I also have the new handle, bought it first and realized the difficulty in doing it compared to slipping the spring under the "flapper" part of the handle.
Cant see it, cant tell its there....follow the instructions and ride on dude!

Trust me, its worth the try....
One of the easiest fixes I have done to it to date:_rock

Many thanks again Chas,

I just went on MA's website and ordered 2 of em f/9.99 both.

They also include a online illustration,with instructions,and it is just like you said.

Should make a difference on mine,as the handle works fine but just started to droop a bit.

Later, Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom