Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Daytona 500 Pace Car Unveiled During Jackson Hewitt Fan Fest

Cal Ripken Jr. To Drive Pace Car At Daytona 500

Daytona Beach, FL (AHN) - Baseball legend Cal Ripken Jr. will appear at NASCAR's most prized event of the year, the 49th annual Daytona 500.

Daytona International Speedway officials confirmed Major League Baseball's "ironman" would pace the 43 car field driving a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette on the Sunday, February 18th event.

Ripken will drive the pace car while leading the participants on the initial lap of the race.

Ripken won't be the only non-NASCAR celebrity in attendance. Actor Nicholas Cage will give the signal for drivers to start their engines.

Ripken and Cage will be joined by American Idol's inaugural winner, pop star Kelly Clarkson, who will sing the National Anthem.

Ripken Jr., who started in an astounding 2,632 straight baseball games for the Baltimore Orioles also represented the American League 19 times as an All-star. Cal's sixteen year consecutive start streak is one that made him popular among baseball fans and also sits well with NASCAR fans alike.

"The Daytona 500 is one of the most storied sporting events in the country and I am thrilled and honored to be a part of it. NASCAR drivers are tremendous athletes and I look forward to being in that environment," said Ripken Jr.

Ripken, who will lead the field down to the green flag in the Daytona 500, will also start a new and very interesting NASCAR season for 2007.

All Headline News Link

I have been an Orioles fan since I was a little kid, over 45 years. Cal was great but he never was a Brooks Robinson. I never really agreed with the Cal streak. During the streak Cal went out when he was not 100% healthy just to keep the streak alive. A true team player would have put the team ahead of any playing streak. I had the pleasure of spending some time sitting and talking with Brooks Robinson a few years ago and that guy is pure class.

Looks a lot like last year's Indy Pace Car.

paradephotog5u0635.jpg

I have been an Orioles fan since I was a little kid, over 45 years. Cal was great but he never was a Brooks Robinson. I never really agreed with the Cal streak. During the streak Cal went out when he was not 100% healthy just to keep the streak alive. A true team player would have put the team ahead of any playing streak. I had the pleasure of spending some time sitting and talking with Brooks Robinson a few years ago and that guy is pure class.

Never been an Oriole fan (BOSOX), but I do agree that he was no Brooks Robinson defensively (there'll never be another), but he did have a MUCH better stick.
I also agree about the streak - he hurt the team when he went out there less than 100%, but you can't blame that all on him. Once the streak reached a certain number of games, I'm sure the pressure was on him not only from the media, but the organization, and Major League baseball as well who saw this as a good thing for baseball.
I always thought, although maybe I was hoping, he'd sit out the game after he tied the record in honor of Gehrig.

I like it!

Looks a lot like last year's Indy Pace Car.

paradephotog5u0635.jpg

I don't normally like the paint schemes on these cars, but I do like this one.

That's nicer looking than the Indy car. Thanks for the pics!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom