Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake reinstall

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I have remove the intake manifold and distrubator and am now trying to reinstall but I can seem to remember where the wires for the Blower motor capacitor hook up. The capacitor is mounter on the intake manifold close to the Dist. I took lots of pic's but of course the one thing I can't see is the hook up for this capacitor. Can anyone tell me or better yet anyone have a picture of it hooked up?

I know my blower motor resister is near the heater fan itself, but I do have a tachometer filter bolted on the rear driver’s side of intake manifold, this I could help you with.
Brian

Got 6 feet of snow all around garage and can't get in to get a picture for you. If you don't find your answer before July, the snow may have melted enough to let me to take a look.:eek:hnoes

I have remove the intake manifold and distrubator and am now trying to reinstall but I can seem to remember where the wires for the Blower motor capacitor hook up. The capacitor is mounter on the intake manifold close to the Dist. I took lots of pic's but of course the one thing I can't see is the hook up for this capacitor. Can anyone tell me or better yet anyone have a picture of it hooked up?

I thought that was to reduce radio interferece. One end is for the distributor the other is for the main harness.

Thanks guys
Brian I think we are talking about the same thing, the capacitor that bolts to the intake manifold right by the Dist
Curtis, sorry about all the Snow its nice in the mid 60's here in oklahoma.

god i really hate it here. this is a picture I took out my front door yesterday morning at 4 AM. Had another foot of snow since, along with 50 mph winds all day. It is really stacked up around here now. No sign whatsoever of my lawn mower now. This sucks big time.

Yes, it is the tach filter but I am still at a loss as to how it connects. Does it connect directly to the Dist?

48629.jpg

Here is a picture of it from Ecklers they call it "1964-80 (C2, C3) Heater/Air Conditioner Blower Motor Noise Capacitor" but your guys are correct its the Tach filter I am just not sure how to hook it up. Thanks

Dam Curtis that is a real pain. If we get 10 inches of snow here in central oklahoma we think we are in a Blizzard not sure we could surive something like you have there.

I am real interested in your capacitor questions. I am not sure if I have any of those, and I do get a buzz in the radio that gets higher pitched with engine speed. There is a capacitor on my alternator for some reason. iF i can get out the door tomorrow i show a picture of some really deep crappy *(^%$*^* ing snow.

If you are getting noise and it gets louder at speed they I would think you need the capacitor I just posted a pic of. Its to eleminate the noise from the electronic tach. I showed the picture from Ecklers but they are out of stock with 20 folks on a waiting list. I then went to Davies Corvette Parts and they have them in stock for 16$ plus shipping. They got it to me in two days. It bolts to the intake manifold on the drivers side rear and the two wires plug into ???? that is what I am looking for where the wires go, I am sure that when I get mine all back together I may fine the other ends but would like to see them because the connectors on the new one are not exactly the same as on the old one so I may have to do some wire splicing. Hope that snow melts, go outside and make a snowman driving a corvette to keep your sprites up.

Ok,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question, Guitar had me stuck in the basement for sometime. There should be a brown wire separate from the pink (Batt) wire going to the distributor cap. There should be markings on the distributor cap itself labeling the (Batt) connection and the (Tack) connection (Tack) connection should be on the left side. You have two ends of the tack filter, one end of the filter will connect directly to the brown tack wire, the 2nd wire from the filter will land at the distributor cap labeled (Tack). There is no in and out direction of the filter.
Wiring the tack directly to the distributor cap with the brown wire could result in damage to the tack circuit board and the tack itself.

The capacitor shown is not a tack filter! If it was sold as a capacitor it not a filter I would not use it for the tack filter. The replacement tack filters run about $63.00 at Ecklers item number 46137. The replacement filters I have seen do not come with the plastic ends and you will have to crimp the metal clip on the wire after cutting wire to the correct length. You will have to reuse your old plastic ends.
Brian

Well I looked and can not find any type of capacitor or filter hooked to my tach wire. My tach works fine. It burned out something on the board about 8 years ago and has been fine since. And here are some shots of the snow.Oh yeah, Okievette, send me a giant box of hot weather please. I will open it in my yard and try to melt the iceberg.

Here's my 78'. The filter plugs into a pink wire from the Ignition switch then to the BAT terminal on the distributor cap.

78tachcircuit.jpg

Tachfilter.jpg

Thanks, now I think I will just resue the orginal one I will have resolder the wire lead but I have done that once before. The picture of the one at Ecklers you send looks nothing like my orginal mine looks exactly like the one I posted confusing.
!

Nope, I have nothin like that anywhere in engine compartment. Since car runs and tach works, guess mine is OK. Great picture, thanks.

WOW,that is some big time snow Curtis.Last year someone from the New England area posted a snow picture like that and i got slammed for replying "I mowed the grass today".So i wont say that i drove my Vette this week with the top down.I hope you northern folks get a break from this hellacious winter your having this year.

Thanks Duke, I will be putting it all back this week and if I can't get it done I will be here asking more questions. Thanks again.
Curtis did you get the package of warm air I sent:). We are pretty warm here for Feb in the 50's but the wind is blowing 20 so it seems real cold outside.

Thanks anyway, but when I opened the box it shriveled up like,well you know what it shriveled up like, and it was kind of like the old silent but deadly breaking wind thing. No real help. At least you tried.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom