Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crankshaft for 327 block 3914678

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
I've read somewhere that the some late year 327 blocks will take a 350 crank. Is this true and if so is the 3914678 one of those blocks?

Thanks,

Apparently it is. That casting number is listed as a 2 bolt main, 327 and 350, so a 3.48" stroke crank was made for that specific block. In 67 and older engines, the crank journals were smaller. Sometime in 1968, they made them bigger. Which is also to say that you could put a 67 350 crank in any 67 or earlier 327 block, just know that older ones are smaller and newer ones are bigger. You can go here http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/chevrolet_engine_numbers.html to further research this. Good luck!

Craig

Apparently it is. That casting number is listed as a 2 bolt main, 327 and 350, so a 3.48" stroke crank was made for that specific block. In 67 and older engines, the crank journals were smaller. Sometime in 1968, they made them bigger. Which is also to say that you could put a 67 350 crank in any 67 or earlier 327 block, just know that older ones are smaller and newer ones are bigger. You can go here http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/chevrolet_engine_numbers.html to further research this. Good luck!

Craig
Thanks. One last question -- if a 350 crank can be used, is it also possible to use the 383 stroker crank?

Probably. From what I hear here, the first '383s' were made using a 350 block (bored to 4.030") and a 400 crankshaft (3.75" stroke), which had to be milled to fit as the 400 had larger journals yet. Now I believe they make a 383 crank to fit in the standard block, no milling needed. There's some good info on all this at the link in my previous reply, all the way at the bottom is 'Crank journal sizes' and 'crank casting numbers' Might want to go with a 4 bolt main block if you are adding that much CI to your engine. . .

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom