Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Panel Covers Fit Problem

Bill75

Corvette
75 Coupe ZZ4, Brodix IK-180's, Headers,TK0-500
I bought some aftermarket rocker panel covers because mine were beat up pretty bad and as expected they don't fit worth a darn. Looks like the trouble is the bend angle at each end is not enough and they don't fit up against the car properly leaving a pretty big space. I've had them for quite a while so sending them back is probably not an option. The finish looks excellent and the rest of them looks well made.
Any suggestions on a rework method, maybe someone has run across the same thing.

Bill

:w Bill,

There is a difference between the rocker panels from 1968 ~ 1982.. right off the top of my head I don't recall which years fit what, but they are not one panel fits all.

It sounds like you may have panels that would fit an older or newer C3 ;)

Bud

:w Bill,

There is a difference between the rocker panels from 1968 ~ 1982.. right off the top of my head I don't recall which years fit what, but they are not one panel fits all.

It sounds like you may have panels that would fit an older or newer C3 ;)

Bud

Hi Bud,

These are the ones I bought, for 75, second from bottom.

Rockers.jpg

Your replacements ought to fit. From what you've said, you ordered the correct pair. Do you still have your original pair? Can you compare the new to the old?

I hate to ask the truly stupid question, but there's a left and a right. Got them on the correct sides? I mention this only because I'm guilty of doing the genuine brain fart stuff from time to time.
:)

Your replacements ought to fit. From what you've said, you ordered the correct pair. Do you still have your original pair? Can you compare the new to the old?

I hate to ask the truly stupid question, but there's a left and a right. Got them on the correct sides? I mention this only because I'm guilty of doing the genuine brain fart stuff from time to time.
:)

Ha! Yeah no problem on the stupid question, I've been there too! When I get home tonignt I'll take a picture and post it. Seems like it's off more at the rearend, the angle could be off about the thickness of the material and it would fit better. I still do have the old ones, they're banged up at the ends, I thought it was from years of use but could be they are replacements and the last guy hammered the heck out of them. Picture later.

Thanks

Here's a couple of shots, see how the very end keeps the whole thing from laying flat. Guess I could beat on it with a BFH but I hate to deform the thing. Maybe just form the very end a little somehow but not distort the flat outside and ruin the looks. Guess I could belt sand the car a touch too:eek :eek

Rocker.jpg

Rocker2.jpg

Question for you Bill..

If you file or grind down a bit on the rocker panel at the end that doesn't fit, will that align the hole for the screw properly, and will it still align for the next screw back toward the front of the door??

I wouldn't do any grinding or filing on the car :nono, but I would give those pesky rockers a light going over on where it wouldn't be real noticable ;)

Have contacted the Vendor and see what they have to say about it ;shrug
Unless your car has different fender panels (glassed in from a later or older C3) I would think they should fit better.. It's not uncommon for some repair shops to use 78 fenders on a 74, I don't recall the exact years that are interchangeable, but not all years are exactly the same roll or flat area on the outside.. ;)

Bud

Yes, I could modify the end a little to make it fit tighter under the door. A combination of sanding the top of the rocker and bending that edge carefully a little might do it OK. Aligning the screw holes is no problem, I had to drill out the studs and put in a repair kit, they are a little adjustable to align the holes.

I guess I should contact them as you said before I modify anything, it just usually turns out to be one of those "Gee you're the first one to ever complain and we've sold dozens of them" deals! But from what you guys have indicated they should fit allot better than they are so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions

Bill

Bill, the originals that I took off my 77 and the replacements I bought both fit the same. They look almost exactly like yours. I've got a gap in the same place. I've put the old ones and the new ones together and they are shaped the same. All the holes line up in the body also. Could it be another case of not too much attention paid to detail on these cars? From what I've seen, the factory didn't seem too keen on making all the parts on these cars fit together real well. ;shrug Art

Hi Art. I think you're correct on the attention to details. I do know the history of my car and it's never been hit or altered, there's a pretty big difference between the right and left side in the same area where the gap is. I can't tell if the panels on mine are originals or not but they've been beat on a little to make them fit.
I never got a chance to call Corvette Central yesterday, but since yours are the same it's a good bet they're all like this. They make them from hard tooling so they're most likely all alike.
Get out the tools I guess and bend them a little.:D

Bill, I got mine from Keen Parts and they are real nice except for the fit. I think I'm just going to live with it and hope no one except me notices.LOL. There is a little difference from side to side as you said. My car had sat in a hangar in Canada since 1990 and the guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner. No wrecks either. Hopefuly some of the other things I've done to the car will draw people's attention away from things like this! You can only work on getting things perfect for so long before it becomes an obsession. :BDH As my wife says all the time even though it bothers me unless someone is as anal as me it will probably go unnoticed. I have to admit that sometimes she is right on.Art

As my wife says all the time even though it bothers me unless someone is as anal as me it will probably go unnoticed. I have to admit that sometimes she is right on.Art

Yeah I hear you same here, careful not to let her know though:D . I never heard of Keen Parts before but I think you paid less than I did if I recall. Another web site full of goodies!

I'm probably going to reform the top edge a little at the ends, I think a little change in that area will make quite a difference on how far they go towards the bottom edge of the door, we'll see.
I'm trying to figure out how to replace the bearing in the headlight pivot at the moment, I think you have to be a midget to get you hands in there.

Take care Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom