Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Family Haulers - Would you buy one if...

*89x2*

I was day-dreaming about the past project Callaway did called the "SuperBourbon" and family haulers in general and thought I would post this question - If Callaway Cars made a "Family Hauler," would you be inclined to buy one?

The SuperBourbon was a one-off custom for a special customer, featuring a 7.4L engine, RunFlat wheels/tires, and unique styling :cool

Here are a couple platform ideas - If you have someting else in mind you would rather see, what would you want???

SuperNatural or SuperCharged, would you prefer one, over the other in your family-hauler?? :confused

Happy day-dreaming! :beer

2.jpg

7R187817-1sm.jpg

...or maybe a nice sedan :cool

G8-21.JPG

Hey, that last pic was taken outside the Dallas Convention Center (I just got back from there tonight watching the Camaro Convertible unveiling :upthumbs). What kind of car is that though? Is it a G6?

In all honestly, I wouldn't be interested, just solely because all of GMs current large-car/SUV offerings are insanely powerful. It hurts to say, but I just wouldn't be interested. ;shrug Some upgrade to the Solstice/Sky platform would be interesting, but I'm not interested in buying either of those cars personally.

New Camaro though... then we'd have something to consider!!!
n18800375_31456736_3628.jpg

Brangeta, the car is a G8 - maybe a prototype??

Re: the sky/solstice - to me, those are just toys... I have enough 2 seat cars for now and might entertain another 5 seater, although I did just get that new toy 3 weeks ago :eek:hnoes

Shopview had mentioned how the babyseat wasn't going into the Viper he has, and I think that is his daily driver - he was looking to buy the SuperBourbon a few mos. ago... What if a new version w/ 600+ hp was avail?? :lou

I just realized that G8 picture is a photoshopped version of the Camaro. I photoshopped some different headlights onto the Camaro in the same exact picture a few months ago. :L
camaro-voltheadlights-angled.jpg

A Viper eh? That's quite a nice daily driver. I see a white SRT-10 convertible driving around fairly often in Park Cities, do we have a match for the suspect? ;)

My neighbor's daily driver is a blue Ferrari 308. It looks the part of a daily driver and smells even worse if you catch my drift. :chuckle His engine is so abused from being high mileage that it sounds like a lawn mower... smells like one too.

I heard (not read) that the new Cadillac Escalade had a 400+ hp engine it right now. Even more interesting (to me) is that the 6-speed automatic transmission supposedly fits a Camaro/C8...

I have to vote 'no' - not because I don't think it would be VERY cool, but the depreciation would be a killer. I had a Canepa Designs Yukon XL built in 2000 as a family hauler. It was a VERY cool truck - supercharged, full audio/video setup with multiple screens, GPS navigation, game console hookup, DVD player, custom leather interior, the works. We could take trips with the kids and I wouldn't hear a single "Are we there yet?" for the entire trip.

But, the kids are never as careful as I want them to be, and things get scratched, ripped, and worn in daily use. Even so, I thought the truck was in great shape when I sold it, yet I took a serious beating on it and didn't even get .25 on the dollar after only 3 years. :mad

As a result I've kind of given up on big ticket daily use cars.

Canepa makes some NICE cars/trucks :cool Very cool family hauler!

attachment.php

I had come close to buying an SLP GTX back in 2000 (It was a 4-door Pontiac GTP w/ ram-air and other goodies) but passed, as it really had no doccumentation)

When it comes to daily drivers, it is tough to let someting so nice, sit out in the sun and get door dings week after week...

Jonstr, did the Canepa truck have papers to accompany it? I am familiar with their work, but not their policy(s) ;shrug That is a huge hit you took on the price - esp. for such a cool looking family hauler :cool

...maybe we should have a thread on what our daily drivers, currently are :eek:hnoes

Cool SUV. Back in the 90s my parents had a really tricked out Chevy Van that was a Cowboy conversion or something.

It had interior ambient lighting in the ceiling, miniblinds for all of the windows (except driver and front seat passenger), 360 degree captain seats for passengers 3 and 4, an electronic fold-flat rear bench that turned into a bed, A/C controls and ceiling vents for the rear passengers, a cassette radio with equalizer up front, a cassette radio for the rear passengers that would play through either the speakers or any of the 6 headphone jacks, TV and VCR for the rear passengers, 2 drink coolers behind passenger 4, and even a portable toilet behind passenger 3. It was so cool... I loved taking family vacations in that van. Back when I was a kid, I didn't know all those things were luxury items because I rarely rode in anyone elses car.

That being said though, I think it would have been silly if it had more than the ~200 horspower it already had. I'd definitely have to decline on a Callaway conversion for a family cruiser that large. It seems more reasonable to have a Callaway engine in some sort of sedan.

Oh, and in support of Jonstr, the van didn't bring much. I believe it was around $45,000 in '95 and my dad sold it around '01 for $14,000. I think it had about 80 or 90k on the clock.

Jonstr, did the Canepa truck have papers to accompany it? I am familiar with their work, but not their policy(s) ;shrug That is a huge hit you took on the price - esp. for such a cool looking family hauler :cool

The truck came with quite a bit of documentation, but mostly the instructions for the installed goodies, as I recall. Canepa did not do window stickers or anything like that. They just gave you an invoice for the work they did and (in our case, since we bought the truck from him too) the GMC window sticker.

...maybe we should have a thread on what our daily drivers, currently are :eek:hnoes

Current daily driver is an Avalanche, but a bone stock low-end one. :D Looking back I probably should have just kept the Yukon XL and used it as a tow vehicle. At the time we were looking to sell my wife's BMW and the truck and get a smaller SUV. She liked the Cayenne, and I talked her into getting the Turbo so that it would have the towing capacity for my trailer. Then, after the deal was done she informed me that there was no way I was towing a car trailer with her new Cayenne. So I ended up buying the Avalanche. I was able to get a new Avalanche for what I got for the Yukon XL, so at least I didn't have much out of pocket expense, but the Avalanche isn't nearly as cool as the Yukon was...

...I keep coming back to this post Jon - NICE TRUCK!

The Callaway SUV called the SuperBourbon was super-smooth, and may have been slightly ahead of the times. It was a 1993 Suburban, with 1 foot loped off the back! With Run-Flat wheels, it was neat!

Gee, what sort of gas mileage does this beast get? :eek

I'm still stuck in the '90s where only the Viper had a 7.0L engine.

Very cool! Do you know what the pricetag would be? I'm looking at new trucks now, but I'm still not sure I can bring myself to pay the big bucks for one of these conversions...

WOW!! :eek

7.0 Liter, SuperCharged, with a Six-Speed manual transmission :upthumbs

WOW!! :eek:hnoes

This thing looks TOUGH! What do you all think??

attachment.php

Very cool! Do you know what the pricetag would be? I'm looking at new trucks now, but I'm still not sure I can bring myself to pay the big bucks for one of these conversions...

I am not quite sure how much, but just having an LS2 based SUV w/ the SC package would be awesome @ 560 hp, or the 616hp variant :lou

Hopefully CallawayMV will chime in here :cool

Do they offer that on the vette?

....soon, very soon :upthumbs

The SUV had a lot more clearance space to begin with and on this one, the "snout" rounds the back of the blower to the air horn vs. the Vette's straight shot from the front.

Stay tuned...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom