Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

compartment door frames

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hi guys,
I'm replacing carpet in my '74 and needed to repair my rear comp. door frames. Thought I had them fixed but epoxy didn't work, they broke when I tried to put them back on! Can anyone tell me what might work best? Short of buying new ones. Thanks

I tried fixing mine too (also with epoxy) but eventually I bit the bullet and bought.

-Mac

I'm buying new ones for my 68, they dont cost that much compared to what I've already shelled out.
A 74, well that brings back memories, my 1st vette back in 78..

The aftermarket replacement trim pieces fit very well, nice and snug. Well worth the money, maybe $25. As tight as these fit I can't see glue or anything holding broken edges together.

We made some from aluminum using the plastic originals as patterns and painted them satin black. They look identical and work great but I wont have any more broken....:D

Hi guys,
I'm replacing carpet in my '74 and needed to repair my rear comp. door frames. Thought I had them fixed but epoxy didn't work, they broke when I tried to put them back on! Can anyone tell me what might work best? Short of buying new ones. Thanks
hi Jim b do you mind me asking a dumb question i also have a 74 L82 genuine with T in vin number , numbers ,matching etc and if yes, should it be all chrome, or the red and black stile like on 78 79 vettes, regards wayne.

Hi guys,
hi sorry imeant to ask it does not have L82 emblems, should it and what stile. wayne.

HI Wayne, Mine has red & black "L82" on the hood. Talk to ya. Jim

You can try a plastic cement called Tenr-X. You'll find it in hobby shops. Tenr-X will probably hold for a little while, but the fix is to purchase new frames.
:)

I just purchased new ones from Willcox Corvette, don't remember the price, but they were very reasonable and they really finish up the interior making it look like new. If you buy the everything, I did, get it from the same place you bought the carpet so you know the carpet on the doors will match the rest.

Not to hijack the thread but I bought the whole new frame....how did you guys rivet the hinges on?

Installing the rivets can be tricky, especially if you don’t have the right tool.

All old farmers raise your hands here… An old tool that is readily available for crushing the rivets is the tool used to install the tips on a sickle bar. This tool is a large cast Iron X and has different ends for crushing different styles of rivets. The tool is made to crush steel rivets, but works great on aluminum rivets if used with a standard old ratchet.

The main issue to this tool is its limit to working space. So, we improvised the ends of it and made our own. This won’t solve your problem but if you know an old farmer he might have the tool lying around I would seek him out.

Another way to crush the rivets is with a pneumatic riveter. The issue with this is having something on the back side to hold against it and at the same time keep from breaking the plastic trim. A jamb block used in body work on steel body cars can serve as the back side while you use the riveter, but the odd are that you run the risk of breaking the new frame.

I’ve had customers tell me that they have modified large C clamps to do this job as well. I’m not sure how they did it, but I would imagine you make one work. You would need to make change in the jaw so that it had a round recessed hole in it, but it’s possible.

I hate to say it, but on the web site we have under repair suggestions reasons why not to purchase just the parts for the trim frames. Before Tom DeWitt and Corvette America started making the entire Rear compartment assemblies, we used to assemble them in house. What a pain…. The issue with us doing an assembly for a customer in house is the job cost per hour is more than if he had just spent the money for the pre-assembled unit. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_info.php?cPath=1984&products_id=24093

In Tony’s case, he might have only needed the door trims alone. If this is the case, they are easy to install and cost around 16.00 for the set of three.

Wally, I never thought of them out of aluminum. One thing for sure; they would not crack or warp easy.

Willcox Inc
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=21364

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom