Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blinker and Brake lite power

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Need some help, I do not have any power on the left side rear brake lite or blinker. The tail light works fine and all the other lights work. I have looked at the wiring dirgram and it leads me back to the switch in the steering column. Do you think this is where my problem is and any way to confirm that? I hate to remove the steering wheel and all the other stuff to get at that swicht, besides a replacement is expensive, if its not needed. Any suggestions.

Do the front signals work?
also check the bulb,for starters...

Fronts work good and its not the blub for sure. No power on the yellow wire.

may help

Need some help, I do not have any power on the left side rear brake lite or blinker. The tail light works fine and all the other lights work. I have looked at the wiring dirgram and it leads me back to the switch in the steering column. Do you think this is where my problem is and any way to confirm that? I hate to remove the steering wheel and all the other stuff to get at that swicht, besides a replacement is expensive, if its not needed. Any suggestions.
Hi the next test is to make sure your light has a good ground,im only going on memory here but the black wire may be ground, and or if you can remove the light housing i think it is held with 2 bolts, nuts on back,check all connections at the back, especially if any corosion or rust clean and re test. regards wayne.

If you have no power on the yellow wire, and your brake lights work, then the trouble is in the switch, the rear body harness connector, or the tellow wire on either side of the connector

Do the 4 way flashers work? Try replacing the Turn Signal Light Flasher. its cheap. When that part goes the older cars don't react like the newer ones.

Jim

Thanks Jim the flasher's do not work I can replace that easy and who knows maybe it will work. I will try it. I know I have a good ground but thanks for the idea.

Thanks Jim the flasher's do not work I can replace that easy and who knows maybe it will work. I will try it. I know I have a good ground but thanks for the idea.

Chances are its one or both of those flashers. There is no way to tell when they go other then they exibite the same problem you are having.I think they are about $3 each. Try replacing them.

Did you replace any of the bulbs lately. Sometimes one wrong bulb can cause the same problem.

Its unlikely the problem is in the steering column. That part seldomly goes.

Jim

I know where the one on fuse panel is but where is the other one?
I have swapped blubs lots of times in all the scokets so thats not it. I will try the flashers if I can find that second one.

I'm not sure where the hazard is on your car. I don't know if you have two flashers or one. I have an older book that shows two...both would be the same. Doesn't say where they are though...

I'm sure some one else will come along that knows.

Jim

If there is two. it may be behind the passengerside dash pad.

I just read above that you said the fronts work. Are you saying the left and right signals work on the front and right side rear???? Change the flashers any way...cheap...eliminate them.

If thats the case chances are it won't be the flasher. It will be the ground for that rear tail light. The left rear tail light is grounded to the frame. In my case near the power antenna. Look up underneath above the muffler...see if you can find a broken or corroded wire. Mind you if it was a fround...not sure if the light would work at all....

The tail light socket has 3 wires. See picture at the link.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=46776&dept_id=1152

One is for switching and braking...maybe check that wire.

Jim

I think it is in the turning signal switch. The voltage will go thru there and then back to the brake light . Some times you can check for voltage where the turning signal switch plugs into the wiring harness at the bottom of the steering wheel. You will have to know what wire colors to check, so a wiring diagram would be help. I fpower is leaving on the wire at this point and then not showing up at the light socket, its an open wire between the two points.

Thanks LV I did not know you can get at the connection I will take a look. I am going to replace both flashers although I agree it should not be the flashers because three of the four lights work. I have looked at the ground and it appears to be ok no loose connections or obvious broken wires. I discover that my multimeter is broken so before I can do to much more I will have to get a new one. I will work on it Saturday and let you know. Thanks for all the input.

test lamp

Thanks LV I did not know you can get at the connection I will take a look. I am going to replace both flashers although I agree it should not be the flashers because three of the four lights work. I have looked at the ground and it appears to be ok no loose connections or obvious broken wires. I discover that my multimeter is broken so before I can do to much more I will have to get a new one. I will work on it Saturday and let you know. Thanks for all the input.
Hi 76 Okievette the best electrical tool is a small test lamp the one with small 12 volt fuse, obtainable everywhere and they are cheap, i keep one in the trunk all the time, hope you find the pro blem soon, regards wayne.

Thanks I have on with a light in the handle and a point to probe for power but it won't read contiunity to make sure you have a good ground or a broken wire, need a multimeter for that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was out working on my 76 last night, there are 2 flashers behind the passenger dash side. Battery is disconnected, so I can't tell what they do.

Well it good news, it took a while but I found the broken wire it was inside the car right where the wire bundle go thourgh the rear fire wall out of the interior. Looked like when the carpet was installed the wire was cut it remained touching so I had contact sometimes but not other times. Spliced the wire and all is good now. THanks for all the good advice glad I got it fixed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom