Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 Front Bumper Painting

CAPNZ

Corvette
1973 White coupe
HI GUYS! Haven’t posted since 06. Vette was in storage sleeping for the cold WI winters. I bought a new GM original front urethane bumper. The old one was checking. My question is….

Should I bolt the new one on and then have it painted or have it painted first? HMMMMM?
There are a lot of pieces that have to be bolted in to secure it to the body. My thought was to glue the three
retainer pieces in first, have it painted, and then re-installs it. Although, the bottom valance looks like it’ll need some jockeying around. I’d hate to wreck the new paint. BUT, if I install it first I’m afraid that I’ll have white paint all over the inside grill area and the edges won’t get a proper coat of paint. Also, the guy is going to use flex agent in the paint.TIA

HI GUYS! Haven’t posted since 06. Vette was in storage sleeping for the cold WI winters. I bought a new GM original front urethane bumper. The old one was checking. My question is….

Should I bolt the new one on and then have it painted or have it painted first? HMMMMM?
There are a lot of pieces that have to be bolted in to secure it to the body. My thought was to glue the three
retainer pieces in first, have it painted, and then re-installs it. Although, the bottom valance looks like it’ll need some jockeying around. I’d hate to wreck the new paint. BUT, if I install it first I’m afraid that I’ll have white paint all over the inside grill area and the edges won’t get a proper coat of paint. Also, the guy is going to use flex agent in the paint.TIA
I paint everything apart,except a minor spot repair!!!!:upthumbs

I paint everything apart,except a minor spot repair!!!!:upthumbs

THANKS for the quick reply. But, have you done that with a rubber bumper? These things really flex. You can bend them in half. Granted gm that's what I would like to do. BUT, I'm scared I'll damage it during the install.

THANKS for the quick reply. But, have you done that with a rubber bumper? These things really flex. You can bend them in half. Granted gm that's what I would like to do. BUT, I'm scared I'll damage it during the install.
I forget how many Thousand!!!!!!;shrug Dude I painted my first car at age 13 and I'm 53 now!!!!:D If you look in this photo back behind the hood,I believe you will see a 2002 Z06 bumper back there on a Saw Horse!!!:cool
And I have no intention of having to repaint it!!
And here is a Link with a little about front Flexible bumpers!!:upthumbs

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94444

attachment.php

THANKS GM. GOTERDUN. Looks Good!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom