Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Speakers

McSnagg

Corvette
1988 Triple Black Convertible Z52 4+3
I currently have the OE Bose system which has more than it's share of issues, and am planning to upgrade to a more current system. Have read most of the threads here, but didn't see anything specific to replacing the dash speakers.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!:w

I would like to know also. I dont want to shove a screwdriver in there to pry the covers off if I dont have to.

I currently have the OE Bose system which has more than it's share of issues, and am planning to upgrade to a more current system. Have read most of the threads here, but didn't see anything specific to replacing the dash speakers.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!:w
There aren't any speakers in the dash on the '88. Someone in this forum explained about the speaker grills in the dash one time, but I don't remember the story. There is one speaker in each door and two in the rear compartment.

I put dash speakers in my 86. It had aftermarket speakers in the doors, dash, and rear when I bought it in 2000. They were old and worn out. I replaced the rear and door speaks when I put in a new head unit (non-Bose). There was too much resonance from the door cavity. So I took the door speakers out and put 6x4's in the dash. It sounds pretty good.

The dash speakers were a factory option in 86 (up to a six speaker system).

There isn't much space in the dash, so you need shallow speakers. A Pioneer TSG4640R fit. Infinity makes a 6x4 that fits also. Infinity used to make a component unit that fits also - that's what was in there when I bought the car. It was a previos owner's after market setup.

You have to remove the dash pad - the speakers screw in the dash mounts from the bottom.

I have and 84 that had the BOSE system. Only speakers in the door and the back. However I not only replaced the door and rear, but added the 4X6 infinity plates to the dash. Like above you have to remove the dash pad.

Sounds great, removing the dash pad was not easy. Make sure the speakers you choose for this location are not real deep. Otherwise you will not be able to get dash pad in. (I speak from experience)

My dad has an 85 without the BOSE system. It came with no door speakers, Just the dash speakers and rear speakers. However his factory system works great!. But no BOSE amplifiers and the such. I am sure that the BOSE used to sound Much Much better...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom