Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

how do you polish rear tail light lenses '60?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
how do you polish them?

I have heard tooth polish does wonders, I have yet to try it. They say to use a clean cotton cloth and hand polish with tooth paste.

Chuck

...i tend to stay away from buffing wheels because i don't have a good feel for when enough is too much....besides, the tailights on a midyear have the raised lettering around the periphery and my experience with buffing guns makes me VERY cautious around sharp edges.....

.....i use convertible top plastic window cleaner or glass cleaner with mild abrasive in it (i forget the brand names but i bought both at Perp Boys)....i just use a soft cloth and buff until the grit stops cutting....works very well for me but i admit it will take more time than a buffer....yes, i pick out the dried polish between the numbers with a tooth pick:eyerole

....i do the same drill on the lexan headlight covers of daily drivers when the owners complain about a loss of brightness at night

...i tend to stay away from buffing wheels because i don't have a good feel for when enough is too much

For those of you who have not as yet seen this plastic buffing wheel that I referenced above, it is only soft string, glued to a wooden wheel center, and when used as described, you can actually buff your fingers without any damage or undue heat being generated.

I have used this wheel and blue compound on every type of plastic I could find, including large 1st generation clear Camaro dash lenses, and have never seen any damage to the plastic.

Trust me on this one, it is one héll of a great product.

Stepinwolf

..well, that's pretty cool...i may just get one myself

I have heard tooth polish does wonders, I have yet to try it. They say to use a clean cotton cloth and hand polish with tooth paste.

Chuck

Toothpaste and toothbrush works wonder on water rings on furniture. It takes the white ring out of the wood. I'm sure if it works on your teeth it's gotta work on plastic.

Toothpaste and toothbrush works wonder on water rings on furniture. It takes the white ring out of the wood. I'm sure if it works on your teeth it's gotta work on plastic.

It usually turns out to be too abrasive. When the plastic is in really bad shape, one thinks that the part has been made better, but if you look closely under a magnifying glass, you will see that it the complete part, is now covered with minut scratches.

Stepinwolf

Most Paint & Body shops just clean them well and use clearcoat paint on used plastic tail&headlight covers.

Tyler

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom