Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Plug???

sci68

Corvette
2002 Chevy Corvette Convertible, Pewter
Jumped into my C5 last nite and LR tire was down 10 PSI. Filled it up and noticed a nail in between the tread :mad

Obviously need to get it fixed - what is the correct way to fix, plug or patch? ;help

Not sure what's "proper", but discount did both on mine. (F1SC) Repair was free, $25 to rebalance.
:w
James

As long as the puncture is not in the sidewall, a properly applied mushroom patch will do the trick. This involves breaking down the tire and applying from the inside.

puncture_ill_sm.jpg

:werd: :BOW
Thanks all. I ended up going to Goodyear and they plugged and patched tire on inside and balanced tire ($50 poorer though). Drove it pretty hard this afternoon w/ no issues. :cool

Even with the proper patch - the tire looses its speed rating.

Not necessarily. I had 3 patches on one of my rears. It wasn't until the 3rd patch that they notified me that I lost my speed rating. Size and location of the hole determine whether you lose your rating. And according to my Goodyear guy, for a single puncture to affect performance, it either has to be a huge hole, or damn close to the sidewall.

If you are on the road and find a nail, etc., in the tire and you're not planning to participate in any high speed events, a plug is easy to install and get you back on the road. After getting home, you would want to have the tire checked and patched on the inside.

Not everyone does a plug correctly and some people can cause more damage than the original nail.

I carry a plug kit and a tire compressor in my C6 just in case as I'm on road trips all the time. Haven't needed it yet but it came in handy for a co-worker's tire one day.

Plugging a tire is the wrong method to repairing a flat. The plug will, over time, cause the hole in the tire to become the same size as the plug diameter. In other words, the hole is now as big as the plug was. The proper way is to patch from the inside. DO NOT patch a tire if the hole is near the outer area of the tread. The patch will not hold due to the flexing.

Thats a big chance to take - guess it depends on how fast you go.

I don't understand, what's "a big chance"? We've already established that a properly patched tires DOESN'T lose it's speed rating, so you can feel safe driving as fast and hard as you normally would. As long as a competent shop has made the repairs, then you're good to go.

I trust my local Goodyear shop.

I don't understand, what's "a big chance"? We've already established that a properly patched tires DOESN'T lose it's speed rating, so you can feel safe driving as fast and hard as you normally would. As long as a competent shop has made the repairs, then you're good to go.

I trust my local Goodyear shop.

"WE" havent established anything. My 99 has Firestone SZ50s, My 95 had Goodyear HP Ultras. Both dealers told me the tire is no longer the same speed rating after any type of repair.

These cars do 160 and more with ease - If you feel fine having a tire with a plug thats fine with me.

"WE" havent established anything. My 99 has Firestone SZ50s, My 95 had Goodyear HP Ultras. Both dealers told me the tire is no longer the same speed rating after any type of repair.

These cars do 160 and more with ease - If you feel fine having a tire with a plug thats fine with me.

Jeez, warren, taking things a little personal aren't "WE". All along I've been talking about the stock GY EMT's, I wasn't making claims for any other tire, I failed to clarify that. And for that I apologize, we could have avoided some major confusion.

On the other hand, why don't you yank that stick out yo' butt and lighten up. :eyerole

Sorry bud - Hope I didnt ruffle any feathers here.

I put 2 plugs in a rear tire on my 07 Camry. I dont loose sleep over that at all.

My Vette on the other hand does see some speeds that would make me very uncomfortable knowing my tires "may" have a problem.

I take the possibility of tire failure very "personally" - I am not telling anyone else how to spend their dough or what to do.

Stick removed.

Gentlemen,
Let's not let things become personal here.

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom