Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Covers

Tony C

Corvette
2004 Commerative Edition
Hi All,
I've had my '04 C5 for a few months now and am really tired of seeing my LeMans blue looking yellow in the morning. Yes, that's right, not garage kept and it's pollen time - then there are the birds! I think it's time for a cover. This is my daily driver so I was hoping to avoid it but I think it's time. I certainly believe you get what you pay for - most of the time - but there are so many diffrent kind and prices out there it's confusing. So, any advice regarding types of covers to use?
Thanks! Tony C.

Don't have a recomendation for you since I do garage my C5. I do have a cheap Kragen car cover which I use to keep the dust off BUT only when the car is clean. Never cover a dirty car since the cover will encourage scratches - grind the dirt in especially outside when its windy.

There have been posts with similar questions from people who are traveling (cover the car at the hotel/motel). The concensus on this forum and others is that one should never cover a road dirty car or even cover a car on a trailer since the wind will grind the dirt in.

I have a Cover-Craft from one of the local auto parts stores, it is a generic, not a custom fit and it works quite well with the exception of one major drawback.

Any stiff breeze will send it flying and the two (string) tie downs at mid point are as useless at teats on a boar hog.

Get ready to experiment with extending those lines to keep the car covered, possibly by using the all plastic bungee cords. The Vette is low and points to hook things are few and far between. I just ended up running a soft nylon rope to each wheel and tying off to a spoke .... before giving up and moving it into the garage.

I agree with napacruzer05, never cover a dirty car or for that matter, even a dusty car. I also garage mine but I don't cover it any more. I've found that everytime I've removed the cover I found fine scratches. If yours is parked outside pay for the premium cover.

I would use a California Duster to get the dust off before covering it.:beer

car covers

Hi All,
I've had my '04 C5 for a few months now and am really tired of seeing my LeMans blue looking yellow in the morning. Yes, that's right, not garage kept and it's pollen time - then there are the birds! I think it's time for a cover. This is my daily driver so I was hoping to avoid it but I think it's time. I certainly believe you get what you pay for - most of the time - but there are so many diffrent kind and prices out there it's confusing. So, any advice regarding types of covers to use?
Thanks! Tony C.
For the first time in my life I dont currrently own a garage for my corvette so I am having to cover it outside. there are many car covers but the one that is best both for rain/sun/dirt etc.... is the Noah (wolf) all season cover. It is light grey in color. It is spectacular in repelling water. I have seen my car in driving rain and afterwards I lift the cover and it is dry.. It also breaths so after the shower it will dry quickly and not leave any smudges.. It is easy to put on and fits tight on the car. I lock it with a plastic coated cable and lock. It never flies off. Miami has intense heat and moisture so a excellent cover is a must if you want the car to last in the elements. Because the sun and heat are so great here in Miami, the protection offered by this fantastic cover only last 1 year because you can actually see the breakdown of the cover (rain repellent coating, toughness of material etc..) and the effectiveness diminishes. It's about 140.00 but well worth it for those of us in extreme weather cities and no garage. My car remains excellent and without any sun damage at all. edram454.

If you don't have a garage like me....get a California Car Cover. Mine is used both summer and winter...I have not noticed any scratches from the cover and I'm in my third year with it....maybe I'm not as anal as some are about their cars. But I can tell you mine looks great all the time.....When I take off the cover I use Zaino detail spray.....when I get back from a ride I detail spray it again...I always get compliments on how pretty the car is......The main thing to remember is to ENJOY your car and be thankful that you wake up on the right side of the grass each day ...I know I do :beer

If you don't have a garage like me....get a California Car Cover. Mine is used both summer and winter...I have not noticed any scratches from the cover and I'm in my third year with it....maybe I'm not as anal as some are about their cars. But I can tell you mine looks great all the time.....When I take off the cover I use Zaino detail spray.....when I get back from a ride I detail spray it again...I always get compliments on how pretty the car is......The main thing to remember is to ENJOY your car and be thankful that you wake up on the right side of the grass each day ...I know I do :beer
"......The main thing to remember is to ENJOY your car and be thankful that you wake up on the right side of the grass each day ..."
:_rock

I only have a carport and it is occupied by my wife's Denali so my DD convertible parks next to the carport and is exposed year round to birds, weather and CATS;help. Is this cover easy to put on and remove?

Hi, Tony,
And a belated welcome to CAC!

If it's of any help in your search for a car cover, MidAmerica Corvette and Corvette America are sponsoring vendors of the CAC, and has a wide selection of car covers specificially for each generation of Corvette. Why not go have a look?

:)
-Patrick

I got mine from MidAmerica but I could not tell you how well it works cuz I have never used it. :W The two car garage is half for the vett ONLY the other half is my brewery. SWMBO rules the house the garage is MINE. The only way she would get half of it is if she got a vett too (and she wants one real bad) :_rock

"......The main thing to remember is to ENJOY your car and be thankful that you wake up on the right side of the grass each day ..."
:_rock

I only have a carport and it is occupied by my wife's Denali so my DD convertible parks next to the carport and is exposed year round to birds, weather and CATS;help. Is this cover easy to put on and remove?

The cover is very EZ to put on and take off......Enjoy Your Car !!!!!!

Sorry Chip! I should listed CCA in my earlier post as one of the CAC's supporting vendors. Very forgetful of me, and I do apologize.
:)

-Patrick

No problem Patrick,

We just added than about 2 weeks ago ;)

Peace
Chip

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom