Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway Performance Package

kwtolman

Corvette
2005 Z51 Coupe
I own an '05 C6 Z51 coupe and have been considering having Callaway install the supercharger performance package. I have been on the phone with Peter Callaway numerous times and have found him to be very helpful. However, since I am new to the performance game and have no experience with Callaway, what issues should I be concerned about before I move ahead? Have any of you had warranty disputes with either GM or Callaway after installing a performance package? If so, how were they resolved? How has overall reliability of the roots style supercharger been? How is Callaway post-sale support? Does gas mileage drop much with normal driving? Does the supercharger generate under-hood heat that the C6 cooling system can't handle? What advice do any of you have? ;help

kwtolman,

I am the 2nd owner of a 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette. In 2005, after several years of ownership, I took it in for restoration and in the process did quite a few upgrades.

Callaway has always been regarded as the best in terms of power, styling, professional engineering design and craftsmanship, and standing behind their products. My experience with them reinforced all I had heard and read. And this was with a product that is not current technology -- at the time 14 years old.

At the moment, I have a 2008 C6 on order and plan a Callaway conversion when it drop ships to them.

Supercharging is now commonplace. The Supercharger on my 2000 Jag XKR has been very reliable and knowing that Callaway has not only done the research AND testing, are the exclusive distributor for Magnusen for Corvette, and warrant the work they do, I have the higest degree on confidence in the product that they sell.

As for warranty coverage I am sure that you will discuss with Peter how Warranty will work with them and/or your dealer, but I would expect to find a dealer being a Callaway authorized sales/service facility at least in major cities. I know that there are some dealers already selling the Callaway Supercharged 560 packages.

I have been told that gas mileage with the 560 package "on the Highway" remains about the same but of course it only makes sense that "spirited driving" will require additional fuel :chuckle - the same applies with my Twin Turbo Corvette now.

Callaway has produced a few Callaway Supercharged cars already (look for pictures on this forum), and I have confidence on their work and products.

It will take a long time to remove the smile from your face once you feel the power and look of the work on your car.

I hope you also consider joining us at the Callaway Reunion at Corvettes @ Carlisle this year (Aug 23-26) in PA, you will meet quite a few owners and some of the Callaway Staff.

Regards,

-Luigi
:cool

Welcome to the Callaway Forum Kwtolman :beer

Here is a brief story about some of my time in the Callaway SC 560 C6 - I probably have over 5,000 miles on it now, not one single issue (the car itself, has about 18,000 miles on it, as of last week :eek )

Callaway SC 560 link: http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM/2007March/cotm.htm

Power is awesome, delivery is smooth :lou

MPG between Old Lyme, CT and BG, KY was 28 mpg avg :eek AMAZING! The internal bypass valve keeps things on the economy side during part- throttle situations. Wide open, and as Luigi said, any car will slurp the gas ;shrug

I hope this helps! :w

What Luigi meant was any car we drive will slurp gas.... :lou

no seriously the gas mileage couldn't be any better than in these Callaway Corvettes when you drive without you foot on the floor.

Peter is a great guy and sincerely cares about the customer just like Reeves. You can't go wrong there! Great people, great times, and great cars. :D

Hey Luigi,
That's the first I've heard on the 08 official order and Obvious Callaway 560 drop ship!:upthumbs Congratulations. So what are the particulars on options, colors etc. Delivery to them and then you will be approx? C'mon Man, this is good stuff I want to know!!!!!!

Luigi and all, Thanks for the quick replies and all of the info. Your personal experiences and the webpages help reinforce the feelings of confidence that I have needed to move ahead.

Also sounds like this would be a great group to be a part of. Carlisle is a long drive from Idaho. Just what I need...an excuse to drive my Vette!

By the way, since several of you own C4's, I wanted to mention that my prior Vette was a '93 anniversary....much tamer than yours, but still a great car.

Hey Luigi,
That's the first I've heard on the 08 official order and Obvious Callaway 560 drop ship!:upthumbs Congratulations. So what are the particulars on options, colors etc. Delivery to them and then you will be approx? C'mon Man, this is good stuff I want to know!!!!!!

I'm fairly certain his car will have flying buttresses, an eggcrate grill, and hopefully be painted a custom turquoise!!! :upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs

Details will be forthcomming in due time :Twist

-Luigi
:cool

In two words....DO IT :D :beer

I drove the red car at Bowling Green...it was freakin awesome!

Sounds cool, but I really prefer a nice rumble over a supercharger whine!

Sounds cool, but I really prefer a nice rumble over a supercharger whine!

I would have thought the same thing until I drove the Callaway C6. The shriek of the supercharger almost won me over from my loved sound of spooling twins. Its that awesome.

I would have thought the same thing until I drove the Callaway C6. The shriek of the supercharger almost won me over from my loved sound of spooling twins. Its that awesome.

I agree, the Callaway Magna-Charger whine is about as addictive to the twin-turbo whistle :lou AWESOME! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom