Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pilot bushing installed wrong ?

tat2ed

Corvette
1973 Orange 383 stroker
I installed my pilot bushing without giving much thought to it and I'm not sure I put the right side in. There is a bevelled/countersunk side and a flat side. I have the bevelled side facing the flywheel. Now I think that was the wrong way. If it's wrong, will I need to change it?

thanks,
Jeff

Yep it is in wrong. The bevelled side helps center the input shaft when installing the trans.

i believe that is the way I have it. The bevel is facing the input shaft and the flat side is facing in,toward the crank. The old bushing I took out didn't look like the new one. Looked flat on both sides.

I believe you have it installed correctly. At least that is how mine is installed on my 86. Mine is correct and yours should be the same.

I installed my pilot bushing without giving much thought to it and I'm not sure I put the right side in. There is a bevelled/countersunk side and a flat side. I have the bevelled side facing the flywheel. Now I think that was the wrong way. If it's wrong, will I need to change it?

thanks,
Jeff

If the beveled end is facing the trannie input shaft, you are good to go.

I agree it's in wrong, but if you have the tranny back in it doesn't make any difference.

i believe that is the way I have it. The bevel is facing the input shaft and the flat side is facing in,toward the crank. The old bushing I took out didn't look like the new one. Looked flat on both sides.

It's in correctly - RUN IT!!

I figured the bevel was in the shape of the input shaft,so that was the way I installed it. Hindsight being 20/20,I guess I should ask questions before doing anything. Just want to get this project done. Sucks seeing your corvettte sitting on jacks when it's a beautiful day out. Thanks for the help.

The bevel on the inside of the hole is to ease installation of transmission input shaft only. If you put it in backwards it will hurn nothing but will make putting the transmission in a little harder.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom