Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 help

R

rogue909

hey all, i'm a current c4 owner but plan to buy a c5 in the very near future. was wondering if there are any years i should shy away from or any paticular problems i should look for when i buy.

any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Gil

Gil,
The early C5s ('97, '98) had, I believe, some issues with oil consumption that got ironed out in later years. Other than those, I've heard nothing that would indicate any of the other years of the C5 model run are particularly bad. The logic most C5 buyers seem to use is buy the newest model you can afford that appears to have been best maintained, and then enjoy it with confidence.

Let us know how your search goes!

-Patrick

On the other hand, older, one-owner models with mid mileage could have had all the problems worked out and ready to go 100k.

The 01 or newer cars are easer on your wallet. Things like the key fob or TPMS sensors are less than half price compared to the older counterparts. Also they icorporeted more parts from the Z06 models, like MAF location and size, the intake and many more. I have a 99 and love it, but knowing then what I know now I would prefer 01 or newer. Good luck, either way you are going to love it. The C5 is a great car.

There were bugs in the early C5's...oil consumption, steering lock, gas gauge etc. These were all remedied at the end of the '02 line. Like they've all said above, buy the newest, and best condition, your pocketbook can afford and have fun. The C5 is by far the best bang-for-the-buck Corvette you can own.

There were bugs in the early C5's...oil consumption, steering lock, gas gauge etc. These were all remedied at the end of the '02 line. Like they've all said above, buy the newest, and best condition, your pocketbook can afford and have fun. The C5 is by far the best bang-for-the-buck Corvette you can own.

Sorry - but I have to respectfully disagree - 2002 did not correct issues like the leaking differential, column lock, sticky fuel sender, rocking seat, etc.

There are fixes available for all of the mentioned - some from GM, others in the aftermarket.

I do agree however that one should purchase the newest and lowest mileage car that is affordable, but I would not hesitate to purchase an earlier low mileage car. Make sure that the car is thoroughly checked out by someone familiar with C5's.

Overall the C5 is a great car, the LSx series motors are tough and strong, and can be modified to make lots of power, without sacrificing durability. The chassis is very stiff - and as a result -most of the creaks and groans that were prevalent in the previous generation cars are gone. The new chassis was designed from the outset to be a convertible, so all three of the body styles are very stiff giving outstanding handling characteristics.

As a highway cruiser, canyon carver, track/autocross car or drag racer - the C5 is a very satisfying car to own. Good luck with your decision.

Sorry - but I have to respectfully disagree - 2002 did not correct issues like the leaking differential, column lock, sticky fuel sender, rocking seat, etc.

There are fixes available for all of the mentioned - some from GM, others in the aftermarket.

I do agree however that one should purchase the newest and lowest mileage car that is affordable, but I would not hesitate to purchase an earlier low mileage car. Make sure that the car is thoroughly checked out by someone familiar with C5's.

Overall the C5 is a great car, the LSx series motors are tough and strong, and can be modified to make lots of power, without sacrificing durability. The chassis is very stiff - and as a result -most of the creaks and groans that were prevalent in the previous generation cars are gone. The new chassis was designed from the outset to be a convertible, so all three of the body styles are very stiff giving outstanding handling characteristics.

As a highway cruiser, canyon carver, track/autocross car or drag racer - the C5 is a very satisfying car to own. Good luck with your decision.

Let me change my wording to read "supposedly remedied by the end of the '02 line".

From articles in Corvette Fever, most of the problems related with the early C5's were remedied by the 2002 year run out. I only based my opinion on their findings. I can tell you that my '03 has never exhibited any of the problems mentioned earlier.

thanks all, i appreciate all the info.

Gil

02's have a problen with the EBCM, the traction control computer. It seems they all will eventually fail. A relay inside goes bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom