Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 body lift

7t7

After much thought, or was was that much beer, I forget...I've decided to lift the body of my 77. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not the Noland Adams video #3 would be helpful for a C3 and if the dollie he provides plans for fits my body without modification. thanks guys, Dennis

The NCRS site had some great info on a body lift. When to do it, and when NOT to do it. There is a great deal of risk involved. Maybe go back to the beer and deep thought.

:bar

too funny! Must have been really good beer...
so, the rest of the story is I found this 77 L82 4 sp although it only has 56K miles, it is "old". I've been in deep thought since last Oct when I bought it and realize 2 things; first, I'm going to keep it for my grandson and second, i won't be satisfied unless I do it right. I've got the background, patience, and at least right now the bank account to pull it off, so with that said--I'm close to comittment. Besides, I dropped the tank for a new sending unit and want to go through the motor/trans anyway so why not pull it? Only good can come from it, right? Hah! I am "wise" enough to know my limitations. Although full of determination, my shop is not full of the right tools nor knowledge to screw with things I know I shouldn't; i.e. rear bearings...But I think I can see this through...so, I've decided to upgrade just a few things; front springs/rear composite, etc...any input on other smart things to upgrade would be appreciated, i.e. aluminum radiator??? So, I found www.corvette-restoration.com and it answered my original question. Looks like Adams rack will work for the C3...thanks guys, Dennis

If there is a reason for pulling the body
1. rust damage rocker channels
2. frame repair
well go ahead and do it. If not just leave it.

Can't speak to the video but I helped a friend do his body off and we had a blast....tense for sure but we had fun......we all learn by doing.....
Just research it all and do it!
I wish I could do mine but the expense keeps me from doing so.

There is nothing like seeing the body come off your Vette (or someone elses)....

go to a web site called The corvette restoration page, here is shown how a guy is restoring his corvette, good pictures and guides on how he does it.

After much thought, or was was that much beer, I forget...I've decided to lift the body of my 77. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not the Noland Adams video #3 would be helpful for a C3 and if the dollie he provides plans for fits my body without modification. thanks guys, Dennis

The video comes with a workbook containing a body lift checklist and body dollie construction information. It was useful to me.

Can't speak to the video but I helped a friend do his body off and we had a blast....tense for sure but we had fun......we all learn by doing.....
Just research it all and do it!
I wish I could do mine but the expense keeps me from doing so.

There is nothing like seeing the body come off your Vette (or someone elses)....

It ain't the money and you know it! If I hadn't moved away to NJ we'd be pulling the body off your 68 this weekend! ;LOL:upthumbs:boogie:beer

Go for it. I didn't find the video all that useful. It's an ok video, the workbook is good research, and the dolly works with some modifications.

We used an engine hoist and the yellow body lift straps from Mid America. I'm still not convinced these straps are made correctly but they work. I'd post some pics but since I moved I lost my website and haven't built a new one.

Finally got the 71 on the road. You'll grin from ear to ear when you're done. The money part comes with all the "while I'm here I might as well..." activities you find yourself getting into. If you're going to do it just realize "doing it right" takes a lot of time, lots of elbow grease, lots of research, lots of patience, and quite a bit more money than you expected. The money part is always important to balance but my feeling is I don't drink, gamble, play golf, or chase easy women. So the money in the Vette is my vise.

You do need a buddy though. Both for the pull and to laugh at you every time another box of parts shows up from UPS.

Good luck.

Whiplash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom