Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Center Caps How To Make Polished Aluminum Look Shiny Like Chrome

Vettevrooom

Corvette
2000 Millennium Yellow Coupe Glass Top
I bought after market chrome wheels, replica of 2000 ones. I want to use the center caps with flag from the polished aluminum OF ones. It is very close but wondered if anyone knows if I could spray them with high gloss clear to make them look the same. I don't want to ruin them by doing the wrong thing if someone already has experience with this project. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!.

Hmmm someone said you couldn't get them in chrome AND the colored flag. They came with the etched flag, no color. Where did you find them?? Thanks!!

You can buy the vinyl stickers that fit in the indentations in chrome caps. Corvette Central sells them as well as many other Vette specialty stores. They look great on chrome caps:upthumbs.

In order to make the caps look like chrome would be to buff polish the aluminum and then clear coat them to make the shine last. Lots of work! Good luck, Zig.

In order to make the caps look like chrome would be to buff polish the aluminum and then clear coat them to make the shine last. Lots of work! Good luck, Zig.

The caps are plastic that came with the original wheels, made to look like polished aluminum. Thanks for the idea though, maybe someone else would like to do that.

You can buy the vinyl stickers that fit in the indentations in chrome caps. Corvette Central sells them as well as many other Vette specialty stores.
Yep. You can also use steering wheel decals. They are slightly larger and give you the option to color-match the "halo"...

rt-front_wheel.jpg

You can buy the ones with the colored flags from Mid-America and other web sites I believe. As someone else said don't try buffing them they are plastic. I am afraid if you spary your dull center caps with clear they will look grey with clear over them; they will not look like chrome, only chrome looks like chrome I am afraid. . . . . ;shrug

Good luck,
Bill :w

You can buy the ones with the colored flags from Mid-America and other web sites I believe. As someone else said don't try buffing them they are plastic. I am afraid if you spary your dull center caps with clear they will look grey with clear over them; they will not look like chrome, only chrome looks like chrome I am afraid. . . . . ;shrug

Good luck,

Unfortunately I had bought these from Mid America, but the only ones they have with the flags are the aluminum look. I will have to pursue the decals & see how that works as I've been told if I put these back on with the chrome they won't match. That's why I thought maybe a gloss spray would help. I don't want to try unless someone has already been here. Thanks for the help, I just haven't decided which way to go yet.

Unfortunately I had bought these from Mid America, but the only ones they have with the flags are the aluminum look. I will have to pursue the decals & see how that works as I've been told if I put these back on with the chrome they won't match. That's why I thought maybe a gloss spray would help. I don't want to try unless someone has already been here. Thanks for the help, I just haven't decided which way to go yet.

Have you done a search on eBay? You might find someone out there that has some decent used ones too, but as a rule they sell with the wheels so this may be a long shot.;shrug

I am sure the clear over the brush alluminum will not look anything like chrome!

Good luck in your search.

They weren't made in chrome with the flags. The ones on my chrome wheels are simply etched in flags, no color. The color ones are from the polished aluminum. I just like them better. Maybe I should just live with it! LOL

They weren't made in chrome with the flags. The ones on my chrome wheels are simply etched in flags, no color. The color ones are from the polished aluminum. I just like them better. Maybe I should just live with it! LOL

I understand that, the polished alluminum is what I have on mine and they have the colored flags. But keep looking they have to be out there somewhere.

:_rockHey I took a break and looked around and found them, go to this link at Eckler's, I just looked and they have the polished alluminum (chrome) center caps with the colored crossed C-5 flags, they are not cheap $64.00 each but they have them.

http://www.ecklers.com

Good luck,

I believe that if you contact the folks at www.factoryreproductions.com and explain what you want, they will sell you a smooth set of chrome caps with the decals. I bought my wheels from www.tomzwheels.com and they sold me both kinds so I could switch them from time to time and that is who they got their wheels from. Tomz charged me $50 for the smooth set with the decals but I had to put them on.

C:wRVETTE

2203766_165_full.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom