Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 with locked up rear

W

wdilwort

I put my 82 away just for the winter 17 years ago :L and now I've desided the winter is over and so I went to get it out and do a rebuild. It was put away with the rear wheels up on ramps and the front on the floor. Well the rear is now locked up but I have no idea why! It was driven up on the ramp and parked. No the brakes are not locked nor is the emergency brake. I can turn each wheel about 1" in either direction and I can see the drive shaft turn a little also. But after that 1" turn it stops with a loud matellic bang. The driveshaft is now disconnected from the transmission in hope that it was the trans. No luck. Could one of the wheel bearings be a fault? something in the rear? Universal joint? By the way, a check of the diff. showed no fluid. It was refilled it two weeks ago but did not help. The drivers side wheel turns a little further and with less effort then does the passinger side.

Well...

the only solution is to pull the rear.. you should anyway... after sitting 17 years I would pull it and open the case.... its probably turned into glue in there....

now the old fluid on top of crud is even worse...

also definitely you will need to get at the wheel bearings anyway as well as checking all axle fittings......

bascially after sitting 17 years this is not surprising at all...

same thing goes for the steering box, power steering, a/c compressor... you will find a number of parts will need some TLC to get them turning correctly and or they may need a complete rebuild/replacement....

I would add the steering components to your take off and lube inspect and replace on the car....

It's most likely not the rear but the parking brake. Poull the parking brake cable from the upper part of the rtailing arm/hub where the lever is. Then use a hammer to tap the lever all the way back to the rear of the car and try again.

I still would service the rear no matter what... especially if it was bone dry ... but thats just the fun of barn fresh cars... which after 17 years sitting all cars become unless properly set up for the long haul

You could pull the halfshafts to decouple the wheels from the differential to at least isolate where the action is stopping. Offhand, I can't think of anything that would stop your gears dead even it it was dry-aged. Unless you have a solid glob of varnish on the gears. Probably not.
I'm betting that it's the parking brakes, or the U-joints on the halfshafts are rusted or varnished stuck.

You could pull the halfshafts to decouple the wheels from the differential to at least isolate where the action is stopping. Offhand, I can't think of anything that would stop your gears dead even it it was dry-aged. Unless you have a solid glob of varnish on the gears. Probably not.
I'm betting that it's the parking brakes, or the U-joints on the halfshafts are rusted or varnished stuck.

I am thinking if it sat that long that it did turn to varnish.. especially with the winters, the rainy season in Jersey... all that moisture ... very easy to do.... but like I said.. i would be taking stuff apart anyway....

whenever equipment sits like that its best to really be thorough when you freshen it for the road...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom