Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'80 frame replacement project - 9/9/07 update

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
made very nice progress today on the 1980 frame replacement project.

We got the entire front suspension installed plus all the steering componetes, front and rear sway bars, and the helicoil in one of the rear differential mounting holes for the rear leaf spring because the hole had been stripped out and bubba originally just left it as is and never bothered to put the 3rd bolt in.

Got the sheels put back on and the replacement frame is now a rolling chassis sitting on it's own wheels and tires!

it won't be too long now until we are ready to drop the body back down.

here are the pics from today:
http://www.vetteclub.org/1980_Project/projectpics8.html

Looking like its all coming (back) together!!

I assume the young man on the left is the owner... wow- what an "education" he's received!

page113-1045-full.jpg

I wish my frame looked that good!

:L

no, the picture you pulled is the owners (Mike) younger brother. Both of Mikes brothers, and his cousin, who happenes to be a CAC member, have been helping out each week alongside Mike and Mikes dad.

here is Mike as we were installing the steering system back in.
page113-1024-full.jpg

Both of Mikes brothers, and his cousin who happenes to be a CF member, have been helping out each week alongside Mike and Mikes dad.
See if you can bring him over from the Dark Side, BarryK... :chuckle

-Mac

oh, that was a big "OOPS" Mac. He is a member of both, here and there, and that was a bad typo on my part. Don't know what I was thinking except it was getting late and I was tired......
sorry

Awesome pictures Barry! Looks like the underside of his car will last quite awhile. Looks like a lot of the parts cleaned up "real well" or are new. Either way, he's gonna be jealous of all the new parts and how they look in relation to the old parts. Anybody give him Mid America and Ecklers catalogs yet? :L The poor kid is gonna hafta get a second job to get the rest of the car looking as good as the underside! B-U-T.......thanks to you guys......at least he will have a safe Vette to drive to all his jobs! Nice job guys! A big thumbs up :upthumbs to everyone who stepped up to help this kid.
By the way.......will this story (and pictures) be featured in any of the magazines out there? If it is, could you let me know which one (or ones) so that I can buy copies of the ones I don't subscribe to? Thanks........
Andy :w

Andy

most of the front and rear suspension has all been rebuilt or is new.
Van Steel donated the rebuild services on the t-arms, strut rods, and halfshafts plus donated a new fiberglass leaf spring and Muskegon Brakes donated a complete "Super Brake Kit" consisting of 4 calipers, brake pads, master cylinder, and the four brake hoses along with the short hardlines on the rear. Mid-America donated a complete front end rebuild kit, plus new 460# coil springs and the KYB GR2 front and rear shocks which Van Steel recommended as the best to use with the rear spring they donated.
This car should drive and handle as good as if not better than new with the new suspension and brakes.

It's up to him to deal with the cosmetics of the body repairs, paint, and interior work the car needs but at least it will be roadworthy and safe.

And yes, I've given him extra copies of parts catalogs from a few vendors. :)

The story will be run in Corvette Enthusiasts magazine and they are already planning a second, follow-up type story about 6 months after the first one runs.
We aren't even finished the project yet so what issue and when it will run is still not determined.

Thanks Barry!
Andy

oh, that was a big "OOPS" Mac. He is a member of both, here and there, and that was a bad typo on my part. Don't know what I was thinking except it was getting late and I was tired......
sorry
It's all good, Barry... I hope you know I was teasing!!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom