Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Corvette service manuals

Can you outline what will ne necessary to install the package?

(Had one sent to me in the past, had a problem installing and running it, just wanna be sure it will work for me)

Thanks.

Ya know, I dont remember if I ever found out what the problem was, it just wouldnt install and run.

I have a regular Core Duo system, WinXP SP2, nothing fancy.

There was something wierd like I had to screw with Net Framework or some other thing (possibly disbale ZoneAlarm) it didnt like.

Very rare for me to have a problem installing/running an application on this rig. I keep it in pretty good shape (updates and all). So rather than poking around and screwing something else up, I returned it.

If there is a system requirement section and/or an install section in the docs (or any kind of emailable medium), maybe you could shoot that to me as an attachment ?

If I can install it, and it plays nice with my system ( without having to disable my firewall to use it), I could use a service manual.

Hmm . . .really? Odd, cause usualy when a program first tries to access the net ZA pops up a window asking if you want it to have access. Click yes, tell it remember that, and from then on no problems.

Shame it doesnt work. Cant run with the fire wall off these days.

Oh well, good luck with the manuals and thanks.

Just wondering, are these legal copies of the service manual? Most of these that I have seen floating around the net on other makes/models are illegal copies.

A couple of points about SI discs.

First, in the early years (98-01 or so) that GM began putting its service information on disks, the coverage was spotty. For example, not all models were supported for bulletins and service data and other platforms had bulletins and no data or data and not bulletins. Anyone buying these discs should check with the seller to make sure the models and model years they want data for are supported by the version of SI that's for sale.

Secondly, most versions of SI must be run from the CDs or DVDs and cannot be loaded onto your PC's hard drive. This is by intent to prevent piracy.

Third, if you're running Windows Vista, I'd check with the seller to verify that 2005 version of SI will run under Vista.

Lastly, I've had several versions of SI over the last few years and I have all paper service manuals from 1982 to 2007. In my experience, SI does not have all service data that's in the FSMs. Most of it is included but in some cases certain detail information was not there. Conversely, SI contains service bulletins which the FSMs do not.

I have this same service manual, although mine is only one DVD, but yet covers all C5's, has all of the C5 TSB's, and also has the TSB's for all GM cars back to 1986. The problem most people have with this software version of the service manual is the installation. The reason that they have problems is because no one bothers to read the installation instructions BEFORE they try to install the software. There is a SPECIFIC installation procedure that must be followed to the letter. There may be something that needs to be un-installed or disabled on your computer before you start the installation of the software. Most people stick the installation disk in their computer and start clicking next. I can guarantee you that the software will never work right if you do this.

I'm a computer guru so I know software/computers. If you follow the installation instructions to the letter, this software will run flawlessly. The minimum system requirements that the software states is as follows:

Note: GM Service Information v. 2004.19 will NOT load on Windows 98/ME operating systems.

• Windows 2000/XP Professional (Home Users Please See Above)
  • Pentium III 600 MHz
  • 12 GB Hard Drive (10 GB Free Space)
  • 128 MB Memory
  • Internet Explorer 6.0
  • DVD-ROM Drive
With all that said, I have heard that people have gotten the software to run with no issues on Windows Vista using Internet Explorer version 7. I haven't tried to install it on my Vista machine so I can't speak from experience. I know it runs excellent with the system requirements above.

If the OP is providing the original receipt with this purchase, you're getting a hell of a deal. This software easily runs $400 and up. I've heard $400 is a bootleg price. If you want the ability to use your laptop while doing repairs in the garage, this is a must. I'd buy it ASAP if I didn't have it for this price.

Junk;

Can you remember what specificaly needs to be removed from a standard Windows XP SP2 (with all the regular updates done) machine?

And more importantly, can whatever needs to be uninstalled be put back ? (in other words is it just the install that may disagree with stuff or is it the program that you will be running to use the manual)?

Id like to get one but have ordered and returned one in the past due to not being able to get it to run. Im fairly computer literate and pretty sure I followed the instructions, still no go.

The only non standard thing Im running is Zone Alarm (just the firewall), everything else is MS stuff. Virus scanning is BitDefender v10 (but its not loded at start up, just on demand scanning).

Would have loved to get this to work.

Sure do my man. One thing that you must uninstall is the Java 2 Runtime Enviroment. You also must ensure that you have the Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 or higher installed. I believe the program will reinstall the Java Runtime itself during the installation. If not, you can install it ONLY after installing the entire manual. Anything that must be uninstalled CAN be reinstalled after the software has completed its install.

Your antivirus, firewall and popup blockers are the real pain when it comes to installing this software. They must be TOTALLY disabled (I just removed mine and reinstalled them back afterwards, especially Zone Alarm - if you know how to use a startup manager, you can just disable these applications from running at start up. I just went the extreme way to be safe).

I'm a computer guru by trade and tried to install the software while only half azz reading the instructions and it puked everywhere. I then went back and uninstalled everything and then reinstalled the software following the instructions to the letter. That time, it worked like a charm. Funny how that is always the case when you follow instructions, which were obviously written to keep you from experiencing issues in the first place!

I have recreated the instructions in a PDF document for clarity. You can download them here and have a look for yourself. Using this software, I can create documents like this that I send to other Corvette owners in order to help them with any issues they may be having. It's a must have software title for anyone who turns screws on their Corvette. :beer

Sure do my man. It's a must have software title for anyone who turns screws on their Corvette. :beer
Hi Junkman,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the the NCM last week.

Regards, :w
Pedro

Hi Junkman,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the the NCM last week.

Pedro

Thanks Pedro, and the pleasure is likewise! Meeting you and other members for the first time was a blast. I can't wait for another outing and hope I can stay longer. Let me know if another gathering happens somewhere close! :w

A.J.

Thanks Junkman for helping out people with issues! Its a great tool everyone should have!

My pleasure Quick. I remember how happy I was when someone pointed me in the right direction for my very first fix. I'm just giving back to those who gave to me. :cool

Thank you Junkman, I may give it another shot.

Much appreciated :pat

Thanks Pedro, and the pleasure is likewise! Meeting you and other members for the first time was a blast. I can't wait for another outing and hope I can stay longer. Let me know if another gathering happens somewhere close! :w

A.J.

A.J.,

Do you want to know about events close to you or to me? :L
I'm about 1000 miles away from Bowling Green.
Wish I lived closer, but I do enjoy long cruises in my C5!
You sure do have some nice roads for driving in your part of the country!
South Florida's roads are very flat.

Pedro

A.J.,

Do you want to know about events close to you or to me? :L
I'm about 1000 miles away from Bowling Green.
Wish I lived closer, but I do enjoy long cruises in my C5!
You sure do have some nice roads for driving in your part of the country!
South Florida's roads are very flat.

Pedro

Sure Pedro, here's a site which list shows nationwide by state: http://www.carshownews.com/

Jim Sharp and I will be at the Glasspack's "Corvettes in the Park" show this weekend. Here's a link with the information: http://www.glasspackcorvettes.com/

Come on up!

297885209_V9jqW-L.jpg

Sure Pedro, here's a site which list shows nationwide by state: http://www.carshownews.com/

Jim Sharp and I will be at the Glasspack's "Corvettes in the Park" show this weekend. Here's a link with the information: http://www.glasspackcorvettes.com/

Come on up!

Thanks, A.J.,
Cool link.
I sure wish I could join you guys!
Hope you guys have a great time.

I got to meet Jim at BG too this year.
He really is good people and his car is incredible!!

Have fun!

Regards,
Pedro :w

PM sent, I'll take a set...that's "shipped" not "shilled" sorry for the typo.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom