Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS & Active handling lights came on ??

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

After jump starting my 2002 auto because of a dead battery l took it out for a spin for about 15 minutes because l had limited time and noticed that the clock reset itself and while driving both the ABS & active handling lights came on. I am aware that one of them will set the other off and the manual said that l should try and restart the car several times to eliminate the warnings.

When l put it back in my garage and shut it off and tried to restart it, it was dead and the clock reset itself.

I only have 15,000 miles on the clock and l still have the GMPP extended warranty that l never used.

I also decided to replace the battery with the orig Delco because it worked for 6 years.

Thanks

Alan

ps l would hate to bring it into the dealership not knowing what is happening.​

I had a similar dead battery in my 2003 a couple of years ago. After jump starting it, I got all sorts of nasty messages on the DIC - ABS and ACTIVE HANDLING were just part of the list.

After replacing the battery, the codes went away and never came back. Later, I had the dealer clear all the history codes.

It appeared to me that the low voltage condition and jump starting caused all the electrical system messages. Once proper voltage was restored, the "problems" went away.

Hi

I just spoke to my dealer and they have three different batteries ranging from $125 to $175 and the only difference is the amount of months that it is covered.

I didn't ask but do you think they charge to put it in because the labor rate is approx $100 an hour?

Of course they asked if l was sure that it was the battery, they really sounded hungry.

Thanks

Alan

"I just spoke to my dealer and they have three different batteries ranging from $125 to $175 and the only difference is the amount of months that it is covered."

Mid January of 2007 I had to replace the original battery in our 2003 convertible. $59.95 at the nearest Chevrolet dealership for the correct part number battery by Delco.

HI

I called my local shop and he said that he gets $116 for the Delco and that the error codes will be gone after the new battery goes in. I also asked his if he could erase the history but he said it will also be gone.

What do you think?

Thanks

Alan

These cars get very screwy with a dead battery or low voltage. My battery lost a cell without warning and it was a total mess. Couldn't jump start it or anything. Went down to Walmart and got a battery and dropped it in and away I went, no codes, no problems. Just be warned, there can be no warning at ALL when the battery goes. Treat every start you do on the car right now as it is your last. When mine died, it started fine in the morning with no hesitation. 30 minutes later, shut the car off to run an errand and 2 minutes later it wouldn't start. It can happen that quickly. Run out and get a battery and you should be good to go.

As to codes, you can clear them yourself through the DIC.

Leon

Screwy is about right.

This morning l popped the hood to get the #'s off my battery and when l opened the drivers door l heard a clicking noise that seemed to be coming from my rear hatch but l could be wrong, it died after 10 seconds as well as my hood light.
It was like the twilight zone.
I am replacing it with the Delco 7yr prof battery even though l will not own it by then.

Alan

My experience is similar to Leon's - my 2003 ran and started perfectly for a whole day which included a 2-hour road trip. Stopped at a department store on the way home for shopping and was inside for an hour or so. Walked up to the car and pressed the door unlock button on the FOB. It was dark. The lights came on and the doors unlocked. When I opened the door, everything died - lights, horn, no start, etc.

Got a guy to jump it and it started but ran like crap - kept surging and trying to die. Lucky for me it was a speed car and I could keep it revved up enough to make the alternator provide enough power to get me home.

It set about every DIC message that it could on the way home. The next morning, I replaced the battery as it was reading only about 8 volts.

Once the new battery was in, everything worked as it should. Just to be safe, I have the dealer check it out and clear any remaining codes.

I now change batteries on time instead of waiting for them to die on me. It was not a fun night trying to drive it home.

These cars get very screwy with a dead battery or low voltage. My battery lost a cell without warning and it was a total mess. Couldn't jump start it or anything. Went down to Walmart and got a battery and dropped it in and away I went, no codes, no problems. Just be warned, there can be no warning at ALL when the battery goes. Treat every start you do on the car right now as it is your last. When mine died, it started fine in the morning with no hesitation. 30 minutes later, shut the car off to run an errand and 2 minutes later it wouldn't start. It can happen that quickly. Run out and get a battery and you should be good to go.

As to codes, you can clear them yourself through the DIC.

Leon
I agree just turn the key to the on position wait about 4 seconds, until the warning lights go off, press & hold the options button at the same time hit the fuel button 4 times, then the DIC will go into automatic mode & when its completed will go to manual diagnostics mode. When you see a code displayed hit the reset button to delete. The ones that have a "C" (current) prefix are the ones to be concerned about. The ones with a "H" at the end of the code are history.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom