Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Owner of Rare Corvette Is Furious at Sorority

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Owner of Rare Corvette Is Furious at Sorority

By NICK DIVITO
Thursday, June 04, 2009Last Update: 4:34 AM PT
Courthouse News Service

LAS VEGAS (CN)
- A man claims his daughter's sorority ruined his prized Corvette - one of only 17 1969 Corvette L-88 Automatic Roadsters ever made. Jeffrey Hendershot says the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority at the University of Nevada Las Vegas dented, scratched and spilled paint on the 'Vette while building a homecoming float, then refused to pay the $33,000 repair bill.

Hendershot says he bought the car in 1987 and restored it to its original factory condition, making it "highly collectible" and worth $300,000 to $500,000. He says the car was featured in the Bloomington Gold "Special Collection" Corvette Car Show, where it was recognized as "rare, unusual and historic."

In October 2006, Hendershot says, his wife allowed their daughter and her Alpha Gamma Delta sorority sisters to build a homecoming float at their house, where the car was stored in the garage under a canvas tarp.

During three weeks of construction, Hendershot says, sorority members stacked piles of wood and building materials on the hood, causing "noticeable scratches and dents," and spilled paint on exposed parts, including the wheels and rims.

Hendershot says he had to have the car taken to a Southern California body shop that specializes in restoring collectors' cars. He says the car had to be repainted with a special type of paint, disassembled and put back together, costing $33,101.81.

He says the sorority agreed in December 2006 to pay for the damages, but he hasn't seen any money.

Along with the $33,000 in damages to the car, Hendershot seeks $3,500 in attorney's fees and other related costs.

He is represented by Mark Borghese with Weide Miller.

It's a shame the L-88 was damaged, I'd be sick about it, too.

But the write-up sets the mind to wondering...
  • lumber was piled up on his rare Corvette and he didn't notice?
  • his daughter didn't know the value of the 4 wheeled "shelf" she and her group were using?
  • he had a bunch of college kids running loose and un-attended in his garage for 3 weeks and never checked to see what was going on?
He's a lot more trusting than I am.:chuckle

:wJane Ann

Wonder if he had a pre-float-build meeting and explained the value of the Corvette and the Historic Value of what they would be working around. Maybe they would have decided NOT to use the garage..

Sounds like "he" may not of known about the offer, seems "The Wife" offered up the garage :eek guess she wasn't included in the pre-float-building meeting either :eek

Plus what been said above..

It doesn't say other than the sorority agreed in December 2006 to pay for the damages, was this before the repair, was the sorority aware of the estimate ?? and Amount ??

Wonder how the Float turned out ;shrug :eek:hnoes

Bud

WOW - Homeboy should have done himself some up front thinking on this one...

forrest-gump-2.jpg

YEP - Stupid is as Stupid Does...

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Wow, seems like this guy is oblivious to anything that goes on under his own roof. The daughter is in school at UNLV and doesn't understand that this car in the garage will be damaged by placing construction materials on top of it ? Her friends do not realize this either ? It doesn't matter that it was a Vette, it could have been a 1992 Ford Taurus, you dont pile stuff on top of someones car, whatever it is. Sounds like a household of idiots to me. I'll bet the pool guy or the daughters boyfriend have even driven the car ! :L

even though my vette's not in "Perfect" condition i would still flip out if my kid did that(whenever i have kids) and there's no excuse that he didn't check in the garage and make sure that they were staying a good few feet away or working outside rather than next to his prized collectible. there's always the possibility though that the husband was away when it all went down and the wife later informed him after his car was trashed. :bash

You got to wonder what he really has. You would think that a car of that magnitude and his apparent interest in the hobby might have gotten his name mentioned once in a while. A Google search on his name and Corvette only comes up with the lawsuit.

Cracked & broken = dented

It works for me. Thanks gmjunkie !

:upthumbs

My 4 year old knows what i think of my car and she respects it. She even told mama not to lean against the car once.. :chuckle

ID-10-T's..

Smells fishy..

My 4 year old knows what i think of my car and she respects it.

Same goes for my toddler. He knows my Trans Am is to be treated with care.

What gets me is the $30k repair bill. Did the girls just beat the crud out of the car? How do you rack up that much damage and not know something is going on? $30k in repairs seems rather stiff.
;shrug

Sounds like dad has some issues.

This guy doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the package, if you ask me. Why didn't he just move the car to a safe place??? Or if he wasn't home for that time, have someone you trust move the car?? I dunno, just an idea. :W

So who keeps a $500,000 car under a tarp in a garage. At a minimum, should have invested in a quality car cover and secure storage.

Something about this just doesn't sound right. Or else he's just SOS. (Stuck on stupid)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom