Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Who uses Marvel Mystery Oil or Z-max???

D

dogfish246

Who uses Marvel Mystery Oil or Z-max in their Vette? Just wondering? Any results? Any thoughts?

Don't know much about that stuff. What makes you think you need it.

By the way,,very nice site.

"Don't know much about that stuff. What makes you think you need it.

By the way,,very nice site. "

Thanks for the comment on my site!

I dont think I need it, but just for kicks I have been putting it in the lawn mower and 5hp outboard... It made me read the lable and it says you can put it in the gas and crankcase of your car.

I will never put it in the oil, but I was wondering if anyone ever used it on their Vette???

I dont like to mess around with my Vette (especially if its working properly), but I did get curious!:cool

Z-MAX
would Karol Shelby lie.?

and........
after installing zmax in the gas tank, my idle picked up sharply...to 950 from 820
later i added the oil treatment.
then 6 months later
oil change..
to castrol synthetic..
and a short road trip of about 700 miles
the oil is as clear as from the bottle
122,000 on the engine
nothing to post
i still know nuthing bout any of it, other than the increase in idle that went away
but i kinda believe it will work;shrug

"Don't know much about that stuff. What makes you think you need it.

By the way,,very nice site. "

Thanks for the comment on my site!

I dont think I need it, but just for kicks I have been putting it in the lawn mower and 5hp outboard... It made me read the lable and it says you can put it in the gas and crankcase of your car.

I will never put it in the oil, but I was wondering if anyone ever used it on their Vette???

I dont like to mess around with my Vette (especially if its working properly), but I did get curious!:cool

I've been using Chevron's "Techron" in the gas tank for years.

I don't have any experience with any other product. Techron
comes highly recommended by most GM techs I've spoken to.

I recall in my high school days...1946, I'd gone up to my classmate's father's ranch & while there we ran a can of mystery oil thru the carb, it was recommended at the time.

There was a cloud of smoke you would not believe. Scared the heck out of us. Being it was a heavily wooded area we thought we better beat it before the sheriff showed. Sure enough half way down the mountain a fire truck comes racing up the road. We thought sure we'd end up in the bucket.

Excuse me for rattling on, but at my age it's excusable.

Looked at your web site. I get the feeling that you like your Vette. Nice site and nice car. Only fault that I see is that car should be 1989 triple Black Convertable with hardtop and 45000 miles. I am going to try the wax that you used.

I've been using Chevron's "Techron" in the gas tank for years.

I don't have any experience with any other product. Techron
comes highly recommended by most GM techs I've spoken to.

I recall in my high school days...1946, I'd gone up to my classmate's father's ranch & while there we ran a can of mystery oil thru the carb, it was recommended at the time.

There was a cloud of smoke you would not believe. Scared the heck out of us. Being it was a heavily wooded area we thought we better beat it before the sheriff showed. Sure enough half way down the mountain a fire truck comes racing up the road. We thought sure we'd end up in the bucket.

Excuse me for rattling on, but at my age it's excusable.

Haha... Good Story!

Looked at your web site. I get the feeling that you like your Vette. Nice site and nice car. Only fault that I see is that car should be 1989 triple Black Convertable with hardtop and 45000 miles. I am going to try the wax that you used.

Thanks! That wax is pretty good! It lasts for over 6 months, even after constant washes and rain... I havent really used anything else because I like the product.

It made me read the lable and it says you can put it in the gas and crankcase of your car.

A friend's grandfather was a locomotive engineer in the UK. One of his favourite answers to questions like this was "Yes, you can mix it with your oil and gas. A person can also successfully mix mayonnaise with axle grease and will find that it hasn't hurt the taste of the axle grease at all."

Pretty smart guy I think.
:chuckle

I'm dating myself some but I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past. It's great lubricant for air tools - just squirt a little in the air inlet and hook up the air hose and give the tool a blast. My father used Marvel Mystery Oil to clean carbon out of engines by pouring it down the carb with the engine running. It's safer than using water but takes longer. I still have a partial can of Mystery Oil in my garage and I still use it to lubricate my air tools. I don't pour it down carbs any more and I don't use it in the gas tank or in the engine oil.

Who uses Marvel Mystery Oil or Z-max in their Vette? Just wondering? Any results? Any thoughts?
the only time i use the marval mystery oil is to lube my impact wrenches. been doing this for 40 years. the techron fuel system cleaner is the best ive used and thats been for the last 25 yrs now. as for as engine oil stick with mobil 1 or any good synthetic. great web site and a good looking vette. but im more partial to my ruby. :beer

New and improved!!!

snake-oil-21.jpg

snake-oil.jpg

Okay, I got the guts to admit I've used MMO for years; not often but when I felt it necessary. I add it to oil whenever I hear that very slight tic, tic when lifters start to gum up from time to time (GM 350's are notorious for this). My most recent use was in my '95 LT1 with 50k miles. I've always used Mobil 1 and the oil gets changed every 3-5k miles (or once a driving season). Three years ago I started noticing small whisps of smoke on cold and sometime hot startup. Thinking my valve seals were getting a little hard I used MMO for that one season. Viola! no more whisps of smoke and my interstate mileage even seemed to increase. That application stopped my valve seal leak-by. It must have softened the seals a bit. We also have a '99 Grand Am GT that has been babied (it only has 40,000 miles). About a year ago I started hearing a slight tic tic on cold start up. This only lasted for about 2 minutes so I figured valve seals again. Ok...time for MMO. You guessed it the MMO cleaned some of the lifter varnish and the ticking stopped.

I trust the product and I know several of my old-timer friends do too. Hope this helps.

I'd hardly stereotype a product on the market since 1920 snake oil. That seems a bit over stated. If it was snake oil- I'm sure folks would have sued the company for false claims a long time ago.:W

However, I'd caution folks about giving opinions or reviews about a product without using it. That won't be helpful.

Perhaps when people have unrealistic expectations- then, down is the only direction opinion can go. It isn't magic in a can- it is a lubricant and can only do what it is within its properties... and rabbits out of hats and miracles are not within its claims.;shrug

For y'all who haven't been around the CAC long enough to remember a Vette guy who went on to his reward, my old friend Ken had a great thread started here on these very same topics- oils and engine lubrication. Great info on lubrication, oils, and other stuff. :thumb

-Kane

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom