Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

04 ls1 ticking noise

gcmlear

Corvette
2004 WHITE CONVERT
I have 6ooo mile on my o4 and quite often at start up I can hear qiuite a prounounced ticking nose in my engiine. I have read all the threads on piston slap on earlier model, but the 04 ls1 was supposed to have solved that. Anyone else have this problem. Obviously under warrenty but I wonder how commen this is . Thanks

Well... just from guessing here... and seeing as how you are from Canada *hehehe* I am thinking that tempatures are not the warmest up there. The reason you may be hearing ticking is because there is no oil in the top of your engine until it warms up and pushes it through the engine block. Once the oil is through the entire block I am guessing the ticking goes away? Try just letting your engine warm up naturally. All the way from cold to full temp... does the ticking go away as the temp gauge goes up?

Ripp 76 said:
The reason you may be hearing ticking is because there is no oil in the top of your engine until it warms up and pushes it through the engine block. Once the oil is through the entire block I am guessing the ticking goes away? Try just letting your engine warm up naturally.
I agree, except you don't need to be in a cold climate to experience it. I use to have it in my '04 coupe here in southern California. Many people have "solved" this by switching to a higher flowing oil filter such as the K&N (sorry, don't know p/n) or the Baldwin B31.

My 04 does it too. My 03 2500HD sounds like a diesal it ticks so bad.

Chris

Did the dealership have any thoughts on what it might be. Even after the engine has been running on a hot day and shut down for awhile, I can hear it and somethimes it is fine. I know the earlier years were suseptable to piston slap but was under the impression this had been addressed in the 04"s
Ncbosshoss said:
My 04 does it too. My 03 2500HD sounds like a diesal it ticks so bad.

Chris

My 04 LS1 does it too. Sometimes even after it warms up to full operating temp. Sounds like a diesel but not as pronounced. I would love to know what is causing this?

I had a startup tick that went away when I changed over to a Donaldson oil filter. The UPF filter and the Mobil-1 filters both caused the tick. I still have a faint ticking sound, and from what I have read, it is the valve train. I plan to upgrade later to a Crane rocker setup and this should quiet it down. In the end, it is normal. If you go with a bigger cam and aftermarket springs it will sound like a sewing machine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom