Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'04 shocks installed on Sunday

Corvette
2003 MY/Blk Z06
I finally got around to installing my '04 shocks this past Sunday, after letting them languish in the garage for months. Don't know why I waited so long. I haven't really got to wring them out yet, but my impressions are that they are firmer on initial impact, but smoother and less bouncy on the recovery. I feel as if the car is planted better on uneven pavement. I'd recommend them if you don't already have them.

The install was very easy--the hardest part was keeping the shocks compressed for removal--strong zip-ties are a plus, here. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial, if you want to install your own:

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/shocks.php

Have these improvements that you seen met up to your impressions?

S-TEE said:
I finally got around to installing my '04 shocks this past Sunday, after letting them languish in the garage for months. Don't know why I waited so long. I haven't really got to wring them out yet, but my impressions are that they are firmer on initial impact, but smoother and less bouncy on the recovery. I feel as if the car is planted better on uneven pavement. I'd recommend them if you don't already have them.

The install was very easy--the hardest part was keeping the shocks compressed for removal--strong zip-ties are a plus, here. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial, if you want to install your own:

S-TEE said:

I noticed you saying something about being smoother on the recovery?

I noticed a more firmer ride compared to my 02 Z. when driving the 04 Z it seems that i get more bounce and a firmer ride all around. Maybe its not broke in at 1000 miles but i can tell the complete difference in the firm bounce on every small bump in the road. I guess these shocks on the 04 are better on the handling part. But i wouldn't give the advice of changing out your shocks to these unless you go test drive an 04. Unless you like the firmer ride. I was very impressed in the 02 and the overall smoother ride it gave me after experiencing the older Corvettes of yesteryear.

Keep us informed how the ride gets.. better or worse.

thanks T.T.

I installed mine and removed them 2 days later.
I didn't enjoy the ride with the new 2004 shocks. Felt like a over-bloated car with the shocks on. Went back to the original.

SOLD them on ebay. btw I did a full 4 wheel alignment afterwards.

BIll.

I enjoy this feedback on the 04 shocks

Glad to see im not the only one not so crazy about these new shocks.

Did you get that funny bounce driving? I can go down one of our highways here in the Dallas area and get this constant bounce like im in a row boat at times, it so reminds me of the Vettes in the 80's. they had a firm bounce and the ride was cool back then because it felt like a race car...LOL..

Im not crazy about the ride in the 04 and the 02 is a much better ride overall anyday.

By the way whats the 03 Z ride like? is it the same system as the 02 Z?

thanks T.T>

That bouncing ride is exactly what I got with the 04 shocks on. My understanding is that the 04 Z06 has some other spring changes that work together with the shocks.
So putting the 04 shocks on anything but an 04 doesn't make any sense. NOT DESIGNED FOR THE OTHER YEARS! Some other people have reported good success with the 04 shocks on other years... but I didn't like the new drive. The 03 drives just like the 02. I had an 02 MY Z06 before I traded to a new 03 BLACK.

Cheers!
Bill.

btw Hey, I noticed you have a Z16, oooooOOOO Yeah! How does the ride/drive of the Z06 Z16 compare to the 02/03 Z06? Please let me know.

Z16

smook said:
That bouncing ride is exactly what I got with the 04 shocks on. My understanding is that the 04 Z06 has some other spring changes that work together with the shocks.
So putting the 04 shocks on anything but an 04 doesn't make any sense. NOT DESIGNED FOR THE OTHER YEARS! Some other people have reported good success with the 04 shocks on other years... but I didn't like the new drive. The 03 drives just like the 02. I had an 02 MY Z06 before I traded to a new 03 BLACK.

Cheers!
Bill.

btw Hey, I noticed you have a Z16, oooooOOOO Yeah! How does the ride/drive of the Z06 Z16 compare to the 02/03 Z06? Please let me know.
Hey Bill thanks for the feedback on the 04 shocks. Yes the 04 Z16 has a firmer ride and i can tell a better reaction/handling time if i were to compare from 02 to 04.. but its the bouncing that gets me, and i say maybe its not broke in at 1000 miles yet. Im getting use to the bounce and a friend tells me im just picking at the car too much. I can tell tho climbing from 02 to 04 its different in ride and cornering and handling. It was apprarent the first night getting into the 04 Z16. I love the car.. very pretty and the seats are more comfortable. I believe they added more padding to the seats or something was changed in the last year of production. Unless you can tell me this improvement was made in 03.

Other than that, i cant tell any difference in performance, shifting or comestic.

The big improvement was the rear deck lid on the 04 it actually pops up at least an inch or so each time, instead of the 02 never popped up more than being able to get a finger tip in to raise the lid. I was use to shutting the door on the 02 Z to let the air pressure raise the rear deck lid when i popped it open.

Other than that they are both great cars and im wondering whats next for our Corvettes to come. Not crazy yet about the exterior looks on the new C6, but i will have to drive and ride in one or two to decide.

thanks T.

The seats in the 03 indeed are better and with more padding than the 02. The rear trunk does pop up better as well on the 03. I guess these are just some of the refinements. The difference is the "piston-slap on the 01/02 " versions.

I also dis-like the c6 design. btw I looked at the Z16 but wanted a BLACK Z this time-round.

ENJOY THE RIDE.

-Bill.

smook said:
The seats in the 03 indeed are better and with more padding than the 02. The rear trunk does pop up better as well on the 03. I guess these are just some of the refinements. The difference is the "piston-slap on the 01/02 " versions.

I also dis-like the c6 design. btw I looked at the Z16 but wanted a BLACK Z this time-round.

ENJOY THE RIDE.

-Bill.
Yes i agree and have debated on waiting on the 2006 version of the Vette. vs getting a 05 model coupe and hoping they come up with a Z17 or Z18 model in 06 or 07 and hoping they dont call it a Z06 model anymore, making our cars more rare. haha. Just a different name i would hope, i dont think they will actually try to carry over the name of Z06 in the future. GM is famous for making up or digging up older cars names from the past and putting the name on them as they did the Z06 from years past.

Enjoy your car and what wax do you use on the black? were doing a survey of sorts on waxes and trying to get this guy named BlackVette to actually go put some elbow grease into his car and WAX it for the first time in ITS LIFE!

drive safe and have lots of fun.. T

Yes, no dispute here on this post from "big mouth Z16!" I have never waxed my Z06 yet. It looks like it may be time soon!

Tonys Torch said:
Yes i agree and have debated on waiting on the 2006 version of the Vette. vs getting a 05 model coupe and hoping they come up with a Z17 or Z18 model in 06 or 07 and hoping they dont call it a Z06 model anymore, making our cars more rare. haha. Just a different name i would hope, i dont think they will actually try to carry over the name of Z06 in the future. GM is famous for making up or digging up older cars names from the past and putting the name on them as they did the Z06 from years past.

Enjoy your car and what wax do you use on the black? were doing a survey of sorts on waxes and trying to get this guy named BlackVette to actually go put some elbow grease into his car and WAX it for the first time in ITS LIFE!

drive safe and have lots of fun.. T

Well, I like the ride of the '04 shocks vs. the old '03 shocks. Maybe it's the roads here in L.A. I've been told the only other difference to the '04 is that the bushings were changed, along with the shock valving.

I guess it's a matter of individual preference, but from what I've read, there IS a drivability improvement between the '03 and '04's when they were driven back to back at Nurburgring.

I'll keep mine...

S-TEE said:
Well, I like the ride of the '04 shocks vs. the old '03 shocks. Maybe it's the roads here in L.A. I've been told the only other difference to the '04 is that the bushings were changed, along with the shock valving.

I guess it's a matter of individual preference, but from what I've read, there IS a drivability improvement between the '03 and '04's when they were driven back to back at Nurburgring.

I'll keep mine...
I've read articles on the difference and i guess i really need to put some mileage on the 04 to know for sure. I am happy with both rides and who knows what the C6 will feel like.

I just know improvements were made in just two years... wow and you tell me in one year also. thats amazing.

thanks for the information

T.T.

After all these replies, I started paying a little more attention to how the car rode. I guess it's true that it feels a little bouncier (in a firm way), as I drive along on the freeway. Where I really notice the difference is taking turns, especially when the road isn't smooth. There, I feel as if the tires are better planted, there seems to be LESS bounce than with the old shocks as the car lightens up with the inertia of the turn. I haven't tracked the car, so these are all opinions based on street driving. :)

Hey S-Tee?

So was it worth the change? Or would you have rather done some other mod?

S-TEE said:
After all these replies, I started paying a little more attention to how the car rode. I guess it's true that it feels a little bouncier (in a firm way), as I drive along on the freeway. Where I really notice the difference is taking turns, especially when the road isn't smooth. There, I feel as if the tires are better planted, there seems to be LESS bounce than with the old shocks as the car lightens up with the inertia of the turn. I haven't tracked the car, so these are all opinions based on street driving. :)

One of the best mods to my 2001 Z06 was adding the 2004 Z06 shocks..

Sure the 2001 Z06 had slot car handling on a smooth surface..yet hit a bump mid corner and the back end jumped to the side real easy.

The 2004 shocks keep the car in contact with the road big time.

Here's an early writeup on it for those to consider.

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=55&

Can't say what the improvement on the later Z's would be but worth a moment to read.

No question in my mind this was a great handling mod for my 2001 Z06

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom