Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1.52 Roller Tip Rockers Installed !

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
Well, I did it! Spent the past weekend installing a set of 1.52 roller tip rockers on my car. Got it off the jack stands Monday afternoon(had the day off work)and was able to get it out for a test run. Seemed to have a bit more power across the board, more noticeable on the bottom end, but need more seat time to be sure just how much more. Been raining since Monday night, so haven't been able to get out and run it. Can't wait for the sun to shine-hopefully Thursday. Will keep you all updated as I get more seat time:bu ZAL81

Hey,

So how many hours of work did it take you?

I'm sure it was well worth the work though! :upthumbs

Edmond, Time actually spent installing the rockers was about an hour. Time spent getting to them was about 2 hours. Good thing I have a service manual, it came in handy. There is a lot of stuff you have to remove just to get to the valve covers. Not to mention taking out the spark plugs so that you can turn the engine over to TDC- not once but twice,#1 & #6 cyclinder. Hope to get the car out yet this evening for a test run to see what my power gain feels like.

At the same time, I installed a chrome "Kool-Flex" type upper radiator hose. This was fairly simple until I started to tighten down the hose clamps and noticed that the water neck at the radiator was cracked- I guess from wiggling the old one off/new one on it cracked it. This meant I had to take the hose back off and pull the radiator out and have it repaired. This after I broke a thermastat housing bolt off just above the intake. Some idiot before me used permanent Lok-Tite on the housing bolts, don't ask me why??

Oh the joys of working on a 21 year old car!! Good thing its a Corvette or I wouldn't do it!! But after all the Work was done , I ended up with NO extra parts, NO leaks and had a few beers:beer to celebrate! Looking forward to Bowling Green now:upthumbs ZAL81

Zane,
I look forward to your comments on the rollers ;) I've debated this over and over in my head, but haven't done it yet! I've read it is suppose to increase hp by as much as 5 - 7 and we all know us L81'ers are a proud bunch, just lacking in the giddy up :D

Looking forward to seeing you Wednesday morning August 28th ;)

BudD
:bu

Well guys, after some serious seat time to evaluate my latest go faster goodies I have to say that I can definitly feel a seat of the pants difference! Without a dyno I can't say how much for sure, but I would say its in the 5 - 10 hp range. It also sounds a little more "throaty" than before.

I would say that if you got the time, tools and talent to do it yourself, then its a worth while upgrade. I don't know if it would be worth paying a mechanic all that labor cost to do it for you- no offense to all the mechanics out there, but there is a lot involved in changing the rockers. ZAL81

BudD, Breakfast on the 28th in Washington sounds like a good time! I'll send you some detailed directions in another e-mail later this week! Zane

ZAL81 said:
Well guys, after some serious seat time to evaluate my latest go faster goodies I have to say that I can definitly feel a seat of the pants difference! Without a dyno I can't say how much for sure, but I would say its in the 5 - 10 hp range. It also sounds a little more "throaty" than before.

I would say that if you got the time, tools and talent to do it yourself, then its a worth while upgrade. I don't know if it would be worth paying a mechanic all that labor cost to do it for you- no offense to all the mechanics out there, but there is a lot involved in changing the rockers. ZAL81

BudD, Breakfast on the 28th in Washington sounds like a good time! I'll send you some detailed directions in another e-mail later this week! Zane

Sorry for the double post guys! ZAL81

ZAL

I'm really looking forward to hooking up with you for breakfast. I know the BlackDog with be running with me, and Hope to hook up with Bro_Ken along the way.

Sure hope Rare doesn't get to jealous hearing your L81 ;) Rollers just might be her Christmas Present :D

BudD
:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom