Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

11" Wheels on the FRONT of a C4?

M

MBDiagMan

On the autocross forum, it was said that someone has run 11" wheels at all four corners for autocrossing. They were talking about a later C4.

I have an '88 C4 and want to know if anyone has ever used ZR1 width wheels on the front of an early C4 like mine and if so, what offset was used?

Thanks for any experience you can offer,

MBDiagMan said:
On the autocross forum, it was said that someone has run 11" wheels at all four corners for autocrossing. They were talking about a later C4.

I have an '88 C4 and want to know if anyone has ever used ZR1 width wheels on the front of an early C4 like mine and if so, what offset was used?

Thanks for any experience you can offer,

I haven't, but if it helps any the wheel offsets are the same from '88-'96

A friend ran 11" wheels on the front of his 86 for a while. The tires rubbed sometimes at full steering lock over bumps - nothing to worry about though. He decided to switch to 9.5 wheels after a while though. For a regular driver, the big wheels/tires on the front contributed to wander and instability.

For autocrossing, it will probably work great - assuming that it is allowed in the class you want to run.

My friend used ZR1 offset wheels which fit the early C4 without adapters. For later C4's, you will want to use a wheel with GS offset or they will stick out too far and that would not be a good thing on the front.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I will run BSP which is a prepared class and allows any size DOT tires.

So it sounds like ZR1 offset wheels at all four corners will work.

Please keep the comments coming.

Have a great day,

So what I've been seeing elsewhere is that ZR1 offset wheels are 50MM offset. Is this correct.

I am also seeing that 88, which is my year, and later are the same. Does this mean that I need 36MM or 50MM offset wheels to fit correctly. I have found a set of 36MM that I might get worth the money, but I need to know if they will fit okay.

Thanks,

ZR1 11" wheels have 36mm offset. The GS 11" wheels have 50mm offset.

The 88's 17" wheels are 56mm offset while the 16" wheels were 50mm.

Check out the C4 suspension chart here:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/susp_chart.html

To run 11" front wheels, I'd recommend the GS 50mm offset to keep the tires and wheels centered in the wheel well. The ZR1 offset wheels would stick out 3/4" or more and rub the fender and inner fender a lot when turning.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Once I looked at the chart and laid out the dimensions on paper, it's much simpler than I thought. To retain the wheel to be centered requires the same offset, which backs up what you said about the 50MM offset being correct.

Thanks for your help,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom