Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

12.996 @ 115.08MPH!!!!

twiget

Corvette
In the market
So I have about 3500 miles on Lust now, and I figured it was time to see what she would do in a 1/4mi. I headed down to the local drag strip, and what do I see but another '08 black Corvette! :D We talked for a little while, his car is an A6 with chrome wheels, and mine is a 6-speed with the NPP exhaust and competition gray wheels.

After some BS'ing, I lined up next to a Subaru WRX and I did my first run ever down the 1/4 mile. My reaction time sucked at .494 but I crossed the finish line at 13.211 @ 113.43MPH. Not too bad for my first run. The WRX pulled 14.333 @ 94.94MPH.

For my second run, I lined up against my fellow C6 owner, and off we went. My RT was a lot better this time, at .175, and I crossed the line at 12.996 @ 115.08MPH!!!!:Twist My second run and I pulled a 12 second time. I was pretty happy with my self. The guy in the other Corvette was slower off the line than me, but his 60' time was about .380 faster because I spun the tires a lot trying to launch. He finished with a 12.549@114.08. After the run, he told me he had been running 12.5's all night.

We ran 2 more times, and each time it was the same out come. I would have trouble hooking up, and he would have a good launch and take the lead. Once I hooked up though, we ran lockstep, he couldn't out accelerate me, but I couldn't pull him in either.

As far as time goes, my 2nd run was my best. My 60' time was 2.427, and an RT of 0.175. My last run of the night was the fastest though. My RT was 0.008 and I crossed the line at 13.134 @ 115.26mph.

I found on the previous 4 runs that red line in 3rd gear is right at the finish line, and I shifted to 4th on the previous 4 runs. This time I tried not to shift and I bounced off the rev-limiter. If I had another 100rpm...

Anyway, I had a great time, and I think I found myself a new hobby!

Jason

Has anyone else taken their C6 to the drag strip? What times have you run? Feel free to share any pointers or tips. I could sure use them!

Jason

My 2002 Z06 does not qualify as a C6, but it has plenty of trips down the strip. My best is 12.42 at 113. My local strip is at about 2800 ft, but the density altitude is typically more like 6000 ft.

If you put some drag radials on there, I would expect an improvement of about 0.3-0.4 seconds in et. Remember that et is independent of rt. The et clock starts when you cross the start line and is not triggered by the green light.

First off...remember to have fun!!! Sounds like you're doing that part great though!

Work on getting your wheel spin down, the first 60' is probably the most important section of the whole track. I can do 2.0X's in my car, so learn to launch good and I would expect you to be able to do mid to high 1.9X's? This will also show up at the other end of the track big time and you'll find yourself needing 4th gear a little quicker. Until then, or if you do still find yourself wanting to shift just before the line, try short shifting 2nd and 3rd by 150rpm's...or it may work to just short shift 4th near the end of the track instead, I don't really know the power curve on C6's so maybe someone else can speak up here. Then again, you could always go dyno it somewhere and you'll really find out exactly where your shift points need to be!
Try not to stage your car very deep, roll into the stage lights just enough to trip the second light. Learn your own reaction time and also your cars. I'm guessing where you are you're running normally on a bracket tree (yellow lights come down one at a time as opposed to a pro tree where the yellows all flash and then the green comes on?)? What I'm talking about though with a bracket tree, learn which yellow light to leave on instead of anticipating the green light. For myself, as soon as the second to last yellow lights up, I leave. Having your RPM's up at the line and working the clutch will also get you much better launches/60' times...kind of like, you want your clutch to be the mediator on a launch to your motor already producing good power and your car catching up to that...this is also the hardest on your clutch plates though! LOL You'll have to decide if you want to sacrifice clutch plates for better launches, or take it easier on your car and have a little bit softer launches...either way you do it, if you get into bracket or index racing, just get consistant on how you're doing it and you'll be fine.
Whatever you end up doing, just remember, Have Fun!!!

Thanks for the tips, Rascal. I was doing some research and I found this website: www.rangeracceleration.com. The guy runs stock Corvette Z06's and has certified time slips from the drag strip that show better than factory times. It is a pretty informative site.

Jason

A few pics from my first time at the drag strip:

I'm in the front 'Vette. The other 'Vette is the '08 A6 I mentioned above. From the outside, the cars are identical except that I have painted wheels and he dosent.
attachment.php

My friends Pontiac LeMans. He's got a 455HO motor under the hood, but 2.36 gears in the rear end, so he runs 14's
attachment.php

Me lining up against the other C6
attachment.php

Another pic of us lining up.
attachment.php

Jason

Sounds like you are have a GREAT time twiget.

I haven't run down a drag strip sense I was in high school about 100 years ago. I built and ran a '63 Olds cutlass with an all aluminum 215 cu. in. V8, 4-speed on a 1/8 mile strip in Keokuk, IA. Had a lot of fun.

On several occasions, I have mentioned to the “Wife” that I would like to take the Silver vette down to our local Motor City dragway to see what it will do. But all I hear is, "we can't afford to buy new tires just for you to play around". So. . . I'm still just "thinking" about it. :rotfl

Hecox

Just tell Mrs Wife that you'll skip doing a burnout every run, then you won't have to worry about the tire issue! Burnouts on street tires don't really do any good anyways, other than looking cool ofcourse.

Just tell Mrs Wife that you'll skip doing a burnout every run, then you won't have to worry about the tire issue! Burnouts on street tires don't really do any good anyways, other than looking cool ofcourse.

;LOL;LOL;LOL
That is exactly what I told her Charlie, but she just gave me "the LOOK". :rotfl

Hecox

Tell her I'm serious!!!!! There's no reason to do a burn out on street tires!

Now if you really wanna find out how that puppy will hook, get a spare set of back rims and put some drag radials on them.....

Now if you really wanna find out how that puppy will hook, get a spare set of back rims and put some drag radials on them.....

I saw a video on youtube, with a guy running drag radials on his C6. He did the burn out, then staged. I dont know what RPM he tried to launch at, but the radials had too much grip and when he tried to launch, his rearend grenaded. It was pretty gruesome. Probably shouldnt let the wife read that though, Hecox. :)

Maybe I'll dig the video up when I get home, and post it.

Jason

Just pull up to the line barely turn off the second light and stage to about 1500 to 2000 RPM and drop the clutch and then floor it and that should get you a decent start. That should get you mid 12's.

Just pull up to the line barely turn off the second light and stage to about 1500 to 2000 RPM and drop the clutch and then floor it and that should get you a decent start. That should get you mid 12's.

I tried launching at 1500 RPM like you described, but I spun the tires. I'm going to have to learn how to launch from idle, or just above. It seems to me that anything above 1000 RPM will break the tires free, and I'll spin them.

Jason

Jason pull up turn off second light and just set there until you are comfy! Dont worry about cutting a good light just forget it and learn to launch the car. The reaction time is not factored in your timeslip. Let the green light come on ( dont worry what others are doing-who cares) and then rev it to 1500 or so and dump the clutch after you have dumped it wait a split second and start flooring it. Dont dump and floor at the same time, this method takes practice but it works. Dump 1 count floor. This will get you a decent 60' and a mid 12 time slip!

Jason pull up turn off second light and just set there until you are comfy! Dont worry about cutting a good light just forget it and learn to launch the car. The reaction time is not factored in your timeslip. Let the green light come on ( dont worry what others are doing-who cares) and then rev it to 1500 or so and dump the clutch after you have dumped it wait a split second and start flooring it. Dont dump and floor at the same time, this method takes practice but it works. Dump 1 count floor. This will get you a decent 60' and a mid 12 time slip!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot next time I go to the strip. :upthumbs

Jason

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom