Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

15w-50 mobile1

larryfs

anybody run 15w-50 mobile1 oil for track events?
I'm seeing 300degree oil temps at the track, and I'm thinking stepping up the oil.

15w 50 mobil 1 is the only way to go.

Anybody ever worried that it is too thick when cold????

Alex D said:
Anybody ever worried that it is too thick when cold????

I keep my cars in doors. The thicker viscosity is a very important factor in keeping the bearings protected under extreme driving and as the oil temp. starts to rise.

8388 said:
I keep my cars in doors. The thicker viscosity is a very important factor in keeping the bearings protected under extreme driving and as the oil temp. starts to rise.
...agree with that one, but under cold start up thicker is not better.......even at 6oF

Mobil 1 is not as bad as conventional oils.

I just reciently filled my 90 ZR-1 with 15w50 and what a difference in cam chain noise and in general engine noise. My car is very quiet running and especially on start-up, doesnt seem to affect performance at all "still runs strong".

Tommy L said:
I just reciently filled my 90 ZR-1 with 15w50 and what a difference in cam chain noise and in general engine noise. My car is very quiet running and especially on start-up, doesnt seem to affect performance at all "still runs strong".

Is is quieter now with the heavier oil, or noiser?
what oil were you running before.

thanks

I use it in the ZR-1
10w30 in the LT1

I was using 10w30 mobil one but the car really seems to run better with the heavier grade 15-50.

I see some of you are from the north country and some the south. I live in Fresno, CA where it is now 106 degrees and in the winter seldom gets down to freezing. I would think that this would make a difference. I certainly don't need anything heavier than 10w30.

if your car doesn't see the race track, then 5w-30 is fine.

I'm talking road course conditions where you run the motor to redline for 30minutes straight.

I brought a case of the 15w-50 and it's going in this weekend.
they were giving a free oil filter too with a case of mobile1

I just tried the 15w-50. definately running at least 20+ degrees cooler oil temps. I couldn't get it above 250 on the hiway, and before the oil change I ran it up to 275*F on the highway no problem. of course the next event is the true test.

run your car down the hiway in 3rd gear and see how fast the oil temps climb. you'll know right away.
BTW the hot PSI is also up about 10-15 psi.

Me too. Every 3k or sooner and a filter. I also use 15w50 mobil1. robert

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom