Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

16" or 17" rims for my '82?

tomj1404

Corvette
I'm buying new rims and tires and I can't decide what will look better. Do you think lower profile tires will look good on my '82 vette? I'm trying to decide between a 16 or 17 inch 5 spoke rim, and I don't know if i should go with the 16's with a taller tire or the 17's with a shorter tire, what do you guys think?

ive been looking for new wheels for my car for a while now, there are almost no choices i could find in 15", there are a few more options in 16" and even more in 17". the only problem the taller the wheel, the rougher the ride.(at least thats what ive heard and read) also you can get run flat tires in 17", an idea i like to avoid changing a flat on the side of the road.
let us know what you end up getting
mike

I put 17 inch wheels on my '79 and can vouch that the ride is greatly deterioated. I currently have my tire pressure down to 20 pounds to make the ride aceptable to my wife.

I'm mostly worried about what will look the best, but i hadn't thought about how they would affect how the car rides. Are there any tire places that will put the stuff on your car so you can see how it looks before you buy?

TO: "tomj1404"

What type of wheel are you looking to get? If you do decide to go the 17" route. Cragar makes a 17" version of their popular S/S five spoke model. Also, American Racing has the ever popular "torque-thrust II's" that look nice.Still, you can check out one of the forum's sponsers www.HvyDeez.com. They've got real nice wheels to choose from. On the subject of ride & driverability when going to these larger size rims. It will depend on tire size. If you go with a real low profile tire (with little side wall), the ride will suffer, but handling will increase. I would go with a tire that will closely match your original tire height. I'm running seventeens (17x8 standard offset)) on my '72, but opted to go with a passenger style tire; size P235 55R x 17. With that tire I get a total height of just a little over 26", which is about as close as I could get to my original 15" tires (which were 27 1/4" tall). The ride is good (for a '72). Now, mind you, the P235 55R x 17's are not Z-Rated tires. But, IMHO, you really don't need those high-speed rated tires for a everyday driver. Those tires will give you a poorer ride, simply because they're low profile (somewhere in the range of 45 or lower) & are not real good on everyday highways & roads (bumps & Potholes, etc). Also, with a lower profile tire, there is a good chance that you can damage the rim, because there simply is not enough side wall to absorb a real hit on a "bump" or "pothole" on everyday roads. Also, shock absorbers can make a difference in overall ride. Just gotta experment, that's all. Whatever you decide to do, good luck & remember: Wheels do make the car. Take care.

Dave

With the wheels I'm looking at, the 17's would have tires with a sidewall height of 45, and the 16's would have 50, is there much difference in ride between just 45 and 50?

tomj1404 said:
With the wheels I'm looking at, the 17's would have tires with a sidewall height of 45, and the 16's would have 50, is there much difference in ride between just 45 and 50?

Not a whole lot of sidewall with those sizes you mentioned. If you do run those size tires, I would recommend getting some good shocks. Like Billsteins or something like that. And, yes, there is a difference between the 45 & 50 series tires. When you start going into the 45 & under range, again, you'll be sacrificing ride, but gaining handling. The roads in Utah may be OK for those low profile sizes, but here in Michigan, they're murder on 'em. I've got buddies that have bent up rims from driving on the roads here with those 45 & under tires. At any rate, I still wouldn't rule out a good pair of shocks (not the stiff ones either; ones that can be adjusted for a soft ride). BTW: I'm going to "Bags" for my suspension. That'll definately get a better ride. But, then, an Eighty Corvette rides much better than a seventy-two. Take care.

Dave

Tom: Those rims are the AR (American Racing) Torque-Thrust II that I spoke of before. They are real popular rims & they make just about any size & offset. They are real nice rims & will make any car stand out. As to the size: My guess is that they're 17" & looking at the tire, from what I can see, is that they're probably a 45 series sidewall. I really don't like 'em, because although they look good on the front, the rears don't really fill up the wheelwell like they should, IMO. My tire size do fill up the rear wells better & when the car sits low, it looks "Bitc*in". I'm running a set of colorado custom "leadvilles". Go to their website. www.coloradocustom.com & look at theirs. Again, mine are the "Leadvilles". And, if you want, check the prices:eek They are "pricey" :eek

Dave BTW: That's a really nice '72 in that pic. :_rock

The tires that I'm going to get are the same width as what I have on there now, 245 in the front and 255 in the back, I'm just saying that the sidewall height in that pic is pretty much what i'm going for. I think I've made my decision though, most likely I'll be going with the 17's with 45 sidewalls

Hey, sounds good! You'll have to post pics of your ride after you get the new "rolling dress-up kit" (tires & rims) installed. Take care & keep the faith!

Dave

Just to further complicate matters, how about differential wheel sizes? Like 16" up front and 17" in the rear, or 17" up front and 18" in the rear?

Joe

MaineShark said:
Just to further complicate matters, how about differential wheel sizes? Like 16" up front and 17" in the rear, or 17" up front and 18" in the rear?

Joe

Joe: That'll work. Should give the car a nice "raked" look.

How 'bout 16" in front & 18" in rear? Maybe 17" up front & 20" in the back? Should be givin' the car "attitude", I'll say.

Dave

I like subtle :)

17's and 18's would allow run-flat tires...

Food for thought.

Joe

I decided to go with 17's and 45 series tires all around. They should be coming in any day now. I got some sweet ZR-1 chrome rims, it's gonna be awesome. I'll post a pic or two when I get 'em, thanks for all your help

Get 'em as soon as 'ya can! There sure make the car look good.:_rock Take care:

Dave

wrong offset

Well the rims came in, but now they don't fit. I asked the guy before he ordered them if the offset was right and he said it was, well guess what, its not. Now I have to find some other rims that i like and order them, so who knows when I'll get to drive my car again.

Anybody know where I can find some nice rims for a reasonable price?

Depends on what size you're looking for. If it's only 17 x 8 or so I'd look up American Racing or similar manufacturers. The Torque Thrust II is a good deal and looks good. If you're thinking bigger, like 10's to 12's you'll have to go with a custom manufacturer like Complete Custom Wheels or go to http://www.hvydeez.com./ like the other guys said.

Re: wrong offset

tomj1404 said:
Well the rims came in, but now they don't fit. I asked the guy before he ordered them if the offset was right and he said it was, well guess what, its not. Now I have to find some other rims that i like and order them, so who knows when I'll get to drive my car again.

Anybody know where I can find some nice rims for a reasonable price?

Tom: Which make of rims did you get? What was the offset that you got? They're probably hitting the caliper, right? Like the other post said, you can use AR's Torque-Thrust II. If you look at the configuration of the spokes, you'll notice that the inside edges of the spokes are curved for clearences. I believe that those are the only 5-spoke type rims that are like that. Also, if you got rims from a reputable place (manufacture), they should be able to custom offset the rims to fit. Let me know how you make out.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom