Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 16 x 8.5" vs 16 x 9.5" rims - 1986 Convertible

chris123

On my 1986 Convertible, it looks like the previous owner messed up a little; it has a set of 1987 rims with the charcoal center sections, however, it has (2) 9.5" rims on the rear, and (1) 8.5" rim on the driver's front, and (1) 9.5" rim on the passenger's side front; on my RPO sticker, it lists option PW9, which I believe indicates cast Aluminum Wheels - 16 x 9.5"; my question is should they all be 9.5" for all 4 rims? I spoke with a Corvette recycler, and he said that he thinks there should be (2) 8.5" rims on the front, and (2) 9.5" rims on the rear; can anyone definitively answer this question on whether they should all be the same size rims (all 4 9.5"), or should they be different on the front and rear?

They came either way. If you have the sport suspension it was likely 9.5 all 4 corners...the base model was 8.5 up front. Getting the wrong size replacement wheel happens all the time since these children at the wheel stores/shops do not bother to look..they just SELL whatever they have sitting there and the owner never knows.
I'd get another 9.5 so you can rotate f to r.

They came either way. If you have the sport suspension it was likely 9.5 all 4 corners...the base model was 8.5 up front. Getting the wrong size replacement wheel happens all the time since these children at the wheel stores/shops do not bother to look..they just SELL whatever they have sitting there and the owner never knows.
I'd get another 9.5 so you can rotate f to r.

Boom: That's what I kinda thought, but just wanted to double check; now it's time to find a used '87 wheel; will have to keep a lookout in the future for a nice set of '86 rims to make the car correct again...........

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom